Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was thinking about getting Cedega, so I went to the website, and lo and behold, there are forms for billing and monthly or non-recurring payment. Just what in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about Cedega

I was thinking about getting Cedega, so I went to the website, and lo and behold, there are forms for billing and monthly or non-recurring payment.

Just what in the world am I paying for (I know I'm paying for the program) but what will I get when if I subscribe?

It seems like as long as I pay monthly, I get every version of Cedega that comes out?

Linux Engineer
    And also Point2Play, the gui front end. And very nice it is too.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

I subscribed to Cedega about a year ago, so unless they've changed their policy, here's what you can expect:

Transgaming offers a service for $5USD a month, and to sign up you must pay for 3 months in advance ($15USD). After you've subscribed you may cancel your subscription at any time to keep it from recurring or just let it roll over and keep charging $5USD a month.

During the time you're subscribed you get access to the latest version of Cedega, and if a new version comes out you get access to that as well. You also get to place votes on what games they work on supporting in the next versions and leave comments about how well Cedega works with games already on their list. You also get access to Point2Play, which is a graphical frontend for managing installing/uninstalling/running game using Cedega.

As a subscriber, you can download Cedega (and Point2Play) in many different popular package formats including DEB, RPM, and TGZ. They may have added more since I used it, but those should take care of the vast majority of distros out there.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    What happens when you stop subscribing? Can you still use your old version?

Linux Engineer
    Yes, but if you delete it, it's gone. Btw it's proprietary because of some copy protection stuff or something.

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Yes, but if you delete it, it's gone. Btw it's proprietary because of some copy protection stuff or something.
    Correct. Once you download a version, it's yours to keep. I still use verion 3.5(?) from the last time I subscribed. As long as you burn it to a CD or store it somewhere that won't get deleted, you can keep using Cedega after you're subscription runs out.

However you cannot use Point2Play after that point because it requires logging on to Transgaming's servers with your username/password, which is no longer valid after your subscription runs out. You can still install and use command-line Cedega, just not the GUI interface.

It's proprietary because Transgaming has made business deals with people who make copy protection for the games they're running (SafeDisc, SecuROM, etc), and those algorithms are closed-source.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants