Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ive just installed my NVIDIA drivers and my NFORCE drivers. ALso installed the latest version of wine so I could play my games. but now ive got a major problem! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine and NVIDIA

Ive just installed my NVIDIA drivers and my NFORCE drivers.
    ALso installed the latest version of wine so I could play my games.

but now ive got a major problem!
    As I start World of Warcraft everything runs smoothly, but as I come to the character screen everything looks normal except for my chars themselves. They all look totally white with no graphics on them and in game every other player around me looks the same just as me all white solid characters except for the NPC's which do look normal.

any1 has had the same problem and knows a solution??? or is it just because of Wine which isnt the perfect program to run my games with ?

Re: Wine and NVIDIA

Quote Originally Posted by w4rmin
    any1 has had the same problem and knows a solution??? or is it just because of Wine which isnt the perfect program to run my games with ?
    Bingo. I'd be willing to bet the problem you're having has very little (if anything) to do with your 3D drivers and everything to do with WINE. I'm actually shocked you were able to get regular WINE to run WoW. Usually Cedega is needed for programs of that magnitude.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Bingo. I'd be willing to bet the problem you're having has very little (if anything) to do with your 3D drivers and everything to do with WINE. I'm actually shocked you were able to get regular WINE to run WoW. Usually Cedega is needed for programs of that magnitude.
    yeah well WoW runs fine actually but the chars arent rendered or sth, although I have the latest driver version I dont think the problem is caused by my graphic card. ( in Windows run runned perfectly)

yeah well WoW runs fine actually but the chars arent rendered or sth, although I have the latest driver version I dont think the problem is caused by my graphic card. ( in Windows run runned perfectly)
    Yes, as I mentioned, I doubt it's your graphics card. WINE isn't guaranteed to run all MS Windows software perfectly (or even run it at all). I don't really know what to tell you. You could try Cedega, but it's not free.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Yes, as I mentioned, I doubt it's your graphics card. WINE isn't guaranteed to run all MS Windows software perfectly (or even run it at all). I don't really know what to tell you. You could try Cedega, but it's not free.
    hmmz so I should give up the hope of using wine and start looking for Cedega?

hmmz so I should give up the hope of using wine and start looking for Cedega?
    Not necessarily. Stick around and perhaps someone can give you some more help. I just recommended Cedega because games are what it was designed for.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

installing cedega

ok!! i've got Cedega 4.4-1 now in a rpm file.

when I do rpm -ivh cedega_4.4-1blabla.rpm file it installs it succefully.
    but what now?! ... there is a map now called .transgaming in my account folder but uhh how the hell should I be running my games now, if I wanna just open em Wine opens them.

any1 knowsit!??

thanks

Just Joined!
    cedega /<directory>/WoW/wow.exe

?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth
    cedega /<directory>/WoW/wow.exe

?
    lolz0rz first time sth worked on my linux at my first try :P thanks

although ive got a in-game problem I tnink....

I cant target anything and when I place my cursor on sth it doesnt get highlighted or anything and can click on it. Although I do can click any other things in the game (e.g. clicking on my spells and using the menu) ive checked the controlls section but that seemed normal.

any1 every experienced sth similar? (jeez this is my bad week this is like the 1000x problem which occrus on my system!!!)

Rye
    Just Joined!
    Code:
    &#91;AppDefaults\\WoW.exe\\memory&#93;
    "MemoryLayoutOverride" = "0x10000000"
    paste that into your cedega config file (~/.transgaming/config) to fix the mouse problem