Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I'm trying to burn an .iso...and I've used cdrecord -scanbus...and this is what comes up: Code: root@Rob:/home/rob# cdrecord -scanbus Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling NOTE: this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

cdrecord

So I'm trying to burn an .iso...and I've used cdrecord -scanbus...and this is what comes up:

Code:
    root@Rob:/home/rob# cdrecord -scanbus
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
    NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
          and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
          Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
          The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord&#58; No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
    cdrecord&#58; For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
    cdrecord&#58; For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
    cdrecord&#58;
    cdrecord&#58; For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
    cdrecord&#58; package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
    root@Rob&#58;/home/rob# exit
    exit
    Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Just Joined!
    What distro, which kernel version?

Debian Etch, 2.6.13.2 kernel.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Do you have the scsi- and atapi-scsi-emulation-modules loaded?

From what I see from lsmod, no, I don't have them loaded, and kernel modules aren't exactly friendly with me. How do I know which modules are available? (I know to use insmod to load them).

Thanks again!

Linux Engineer
    Try modprobe instead, it will find the path of the modules automaticly... However, here is the path to the modules-hierarchy: /lib/modules/*/

There you will find them sorted up... I think atapi-scsi emulation is needed to use ATA-cdwriters with cdrecord...

Linux User
    No, SCSI emulation is no longer required with 2.6 kernels. However, cdrecord is rather broken with these kernel changes. You can burn with it, but scanbus won't work. The best solution is to determine the /dev location your drive is at (/dev/hdc if it's master on the second channel) and use dev=/dev/hdX

You can find your drive's /dev entry by trial and error this way:
    # cdrecord -scanbus dev=/dev/hdc
    I just like to use the specific IDE device, you can usually use something like /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdburner or /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

It will give you an error message if it's the wrong location, but will show your drive if it's correct.

Here's a good CD Burning doc, but not everything is up to date, especially considering 2.6

Of course, SCSI emulation is still available in the 2.6 kernel, and as long as it's built into yours you can use it. But considering it's always been a hack, it's probably a good idea to move away from it now.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe