Find the answer to your Linux question:
What up, I'm having problems with viewing wmv files on my suse. I tried updating and reinstallig and I am failing with errors. what can I d/l to fix my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WMV viewing codec erros and mms:// links, what can I do to fix or update these?

What up,

I'm having problems with viewing wmv files on my suse. I tried updating and reinstallig and I am failing with errors.

what can I d/l to fix my codecs? I can view everything else.

also there are these links:
    mms://danceizm-tv.ddo.jp/hp/ewp-1.wmv

there are windows programs to extract these links and d/l them, what program can do that in Linux?

thanks in advance.

Peace

Re: WMV viewing codec erros and mms:// links, what can I do to fix or update these?

Quote Originally Posted by bboy-lancer17
    What up,

I'm having problems with viewing wmv files on my suse. I tried updating and reinstallig and I am failing with errors.

what can I d/l to fix my codecs? I can view everything else.

also there are these links:
    mms://danceizm-tv.ddo.jp/hp/ewp-1.wmv

there are windows programs to extract these links and d/l them, what program can do that in Linux?
    Have you tried installing the codecs via Packman?
    http://packman.links2linux.org/

More specifically:
    http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=046

They have rpms there that you can download for SuSE-9.3, 9.2, 9.1, and 9.0. They also have an improved mplayer for downloading (mplayer usually works with mms:// links).

Just Joined!
    I think mplayer only works with embedded video i believe. MMS is more like...when you click on it it opens up the player on the desktop rather then right in the website (can't really explain >.<). I'm also wondering how to get this to work cause i wanted to listen to a internet radio station.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

mms with linux

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1c4
    I think mplayer only works with embedded video i believe. MMS is more like...when you click on it it opens up the player on the desktop rather then right in the website (can't really explain >.<). I'm also wondering how to get this to work cause i wanted to listen to a internet radio station.
    Does:
    mplayer -dumpstream mms://type.your.link.here
    work?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    Does:
    work?
    well i tried it on the one i was trying to get to work, but i found out the person had his comp screwed up so i couldn't use that mms. I'm trying to look for some random mms, but i can't seem to find any :/

mplayer works for some mms

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    Does:
    work?
    well i tried it on the one i was trying to get to work, but i found out the person had his comp screwed up so i couldn't use that mms. I'm trying to look for some random mms, but i can't seem to find any :/
    I'm pretty certain it works, at least it works for some mms. My wife regularly uses it to capture talk-show clips from an Internet radio station.