Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
That might be the reason yeah, however I've heard stories of CS running better in cedega than win... However, that may be just a story. The driver is worth a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

That might be the reason yeah, however I've heard stories of CS running better in cedega than win... However, that may be just a story. The driver is worth a shot, it's mentioned older card's arent anymore supported.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth
    With the exception of UT:2k4 (GOTY is better ) did anybody bother to think that the reason your getting terrible framerates is because your using cedega to run counter-strike? (well, steam) don't expect exeptional performance under cedega, and don't b***h about the driver being bad when the game doesnt play well, keep in mind your not running it natively under linux.
    I wouldn't say i was b***hing, but whatever. And yes, i did realize CS is running slower because its running on an emulator...in fact i think i even said at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by myself
    But, since 1.6 is running off an emulator (cedega), its no surprise its slow....it just shows i need some better hardware
    Yup...i believe i did. However, i didn't think 1.6 had to drop all the way to 15 - 30. Thats about a half decrease in fps. I could understand something like 40 - 50 or something. And i'm only on 640 x 480 playing 1.6. It goes down to like.... 4 - 8 fps while on 1280 x 1024.

Btw jaboua, 7174 was horrible. My fps was like.... 5 - 10. 7667 seems to run a bit better though.

Also, i would like to know..is linux supposed to say this when someone is using a sempron?

I'm not exactly how the whole x86, i686, i386 thing works excep that it has to do with your processor (i think). Maybe its possible that its not even NVIDIA or anything related to it, but its just because my processor sucks and isn't read correctly by linux. Sempron i believe is new...it was made to be used as a "budget processor" or something...but i'm not entirely sure. So, maybe linux hasn't made a sempron driver...or.....whatever... (sorry, i'm still relatively new to linux V_V )

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1c4
    I'm not exactly how the whole x86, i686, i386 thing works excep that it has to do with your processor (i think).
    This thread might help:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-47022.html

And yes, it has everything to do with your processor.

So, maybe linux hasn't made a sempron driver...or.....whatever... (sorry, i'm still relatively new to linux V_V )
    Sempron is a regular X86 processor, but as you mentioned it is considered "bargain line", which translates to poor performance on resource-intensive applications and games.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    so problem solved i guess?
    Except now there is a new problem! The processor! gaar and i have no money! :'(

I wish i could still use my awesome PC...but no, my bro has to use it cause WoW requires a Radeon 9800 and AMD Athlon 64 2800 or whatever (i haven't used it in so long i don't even remember the processor specs)....pish.

Wait wait wait..... ia32 stands for Intel Architect 32? Maybe one of the major problem is because i'm downloading the wrong driver also... cause i downloaded the ia32 (idk why....it just seemed like something sempron would be compatible with). So, maybe i shoul download an x86.... and buy a better processor.

EDIT: Oh, ia32 is an x86..ok....so i have downloaded the right driver....buying a new processor still remains the only solution to the problem

Just Joined!
    Yeah, i did overlook you saying that, and my whole point was that just because you get bad framerates under an (emulator-like-thing) doesn't mean the nvidia driver sucks.

When I tried playing 1.6 under cedega my framerates went from 30-60 (on windows) to 10-16.

Just Joined!
    I just felt like saying NVIDIA driver sucks...it just made me feel better to blame the problem on something even knowing i wasn't exactly sure what was causing the problem :P

plus, UT2k4 on linux wasn't getting the same fps as it was on windows....or at least it seems like that.. So that made me mad too since UT2k4 is running natively under linux without an emulator. I'll have to find a command to have an fps counter on the screen then i can get a better comparisin between UT2k4 on linux and UT2k4 on windows...

EDIT: Just tested the two

UT2k4 Windows: 40 - 50
    UT2k4 Linux: 27 - 37

both on default settings.

Linux Engineer
    About Athlon/Sempron, I thought Athlon was the old name of the semprons, but when Athlon64 got introduced, the original athlon --> sempron?

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    About Athlon/Sempron, I thought Athlon was the old name of the semprons, but when Athlon64 got introduced, the original athlon --> sempron?
    No. The Athlon and the Sempron have always been separate processors. The Sempron is the replacement for the Duron. The Athlon and AMD64 are meant to directly compete with the Intel Pentium and Xeon EM64T, respectively. The Duron and Sempron are meant to compete with the Intel Celeron.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040728/index.html

That article may help.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    someone complaining about nvidia drivers? please try to use a ati card, youll go to sleep crying their so hard to install and the 3d is so ******

Linux Engineer
    OK, thanx for the clarification techiemoe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast