Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by a12ctic someone complaining about nvidia drivers? please try to use a ati card, youll go to sleep crying their so hard to install and the 3d is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    someone complaining about nvidia drivers? please try to use a ati card, youll go to sleep crying their so hard to install and the 3d is so ******
    and i have stopped whinning about nvidia drivers now that i know whats actually causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous1c4
    someone complaining about nvidia drivers? please try to use a ati card, youll go to sleep crying their so hard to install and the 3d is so ******
    and i have stopped whinning about nvidia drivers now that i know whats actually causing the problem.
    I've taken the "sucks" out of the title. I think that puts people off.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I've taken the "sucks" out of the title. I think that puts people off.
    Ya, i think so too lol. I was thinking about changing the title, but then i was worried people wouldn't recognize the topic and then it would die or something.

Another question.....does installing EVERY driver for just about everything increase performance some? I only install drivers like graphic drivers, sound cards, or any other driver to get something to work. I don't install drivers like nforce drivers. If i did would it help in anyway (i would hope it would be a significant boost, but i doubt it).

Another question.....does installing EVERY driver for just about everything increase performance some? I only install drivers like graphic drivers, sound cards, or any other driver to get something to work. I don't install drivers like nforce drivers. If i did would it help in anyway (i would hope it would be a significant boost, but i doubt it).
    I've had serious problems with the Nforce chipset drivers in the past (both Linux and MS Windows versions) so I can't recommend them. As for other device drivers... it really shouldn't matter. The only drivers that will show you a major jump in performance are the ones you installed alread (video for instance). Getting an "official" driver for your ethernet card (assuming one even exists) won't make it transfer any faster. I look at it this way: if the device works with the default Linux driver, I keep it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I've had serious problems with the Nforce chipset drivers in the past (both Linux and MS Windows versions) so I can't recommend them. As for other device drivers... it really shouldn't matter. The only drivers that will show you a major jump in performance are the ones you installed alread (video for instance). Getting an "official" driver for your ethernet card (assuming one even exists) won't make it transfer any faster. I look at it this way: if the device works with the default Linux driver, I keep it.
    Ah, ok.

Aaaand another question (hey, its better than making multiple topics haha).

I've been googling a bit looking how to install the Quake III demo. Some of them are saying to right click on the file, give it the permission to execute, then log in as root, then execute it via sh. Then some say to use gunzip, tar -xvzf, or ssh.
    Well when i did the execute permission thing, it just said something about verifying and then nothing happened. Then i tried gunzip and ssh and in the console it would just site there as if its taking forever to load (maybe thats what it is doing...but its a 47 MB file...it shouldn't take THAT long). Tar -xvzf doesn't even work with the file. The name of the file is
    linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh

I think i'm just gonna buy Q3 cause its fun and it runs on linux...and its not so graphic intense (hey...if my computer that didn't even have a graphics card with just a puny 773 mhz processor could run it i'm sure i could run it fine on linux).

I've been googling a bit looking how to install the Quake III demo. ...
    The name of the file is linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh
    You should be able to just run that file from the command line with this command:

Code:
    sh linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh
    You don't need to be root user unless you want to install it to the default directory (/usr/local/games/quake3). I usually install games to my home directory (/home/yourUserName/quake3), which allows me to run the installers as a regular user.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I've been googling a bit looking how to install the Quake III demo. ...
    The name of the file is linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh
    You should be able to just run that file from the command line with this command:

Code:
    sh linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh
    You don't need to be root user unless you want to install it to the default directory (/usr/local/games/quake3). I usually install games to my home directory (/home/yourUserName/quake3), which allows me to run the installers as a regular user.

What does it all mean?!

I just noticed it said "kbuild" which is a KDE program...which doesn't make sense since i'm running on GNOME. Maybe i should start on KDE and see what happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3