Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can I play my Quicktime videos, Windows WMA sound or AVI video files, or MP3's in red hat 9.0? If so how?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to run video files

Can I play my Quicktime videos, Windows WMA sound or AVI video files, or MP3's in red hat 9.0? If so how?

Linux Guru
    I use xine, from http://xinehq.de/ for all my video needs.

Jason

Just Joined!
    dont try mplayer unless you want to write codecs and drivers for you hardware

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Say what?

"dont try mplayer unless you want to write codecs and drivers for you hardware"

Huh? Not only does mplayer not require you to write codecs (Why the hell you'd think you'd have to I don't know), but in addition to codecs such as xvid that the source code or precompiled linux libraries are available for, mplayer works with windows codecs (and we all know there is no shortness of those). Not that I'm saying that xine doesn't, mind you (I haven't used xine enough to find out one way or the other about this), but it really isn't hard to get your hands on these codecs as they are available from the mplayer official site (along with compiled mplayer binaries for a few different distributions). As for writing drivers.....double huh? If you haven't got video card drivers for your video card, you've got a lot more problems than just mplayer not working - on the order of the entirity of X (the graphical interface) not working.

Computing is about choice, and if you prefer Xine, that's cool, of course....but I'd really like to know why the hell you thought a person would have to go to any real effort to get mplayer to work. For me it took running "echo "deb http://marillat.free.fr unstable" >> /etc/apt/sources.list; apt-get update; apt-get install mplayer w32codecs" on my debian machine - for people using other distros they might actually have to download the files on www.mplayerhq.hu by hand and install them manually - but still not a *huge* effort.

Don't believe the (anti-)hype

Linux User
    I had nothing but problems trying to install mplayer under RH 9.

Now I'm using kaboodle under gentoo, but it doesn't like opening a file directly via a link on the web. I have to save the file first and then open it. Weird.

Maybe I'll take a look at xine...
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    With all my installations of slackware, i could never get kaboodle to work. even if I save the file it won't work.

xine is really nice...it's pretty easy to use/configure and it is also pretty versatile. If it could play swf, it would be the *ultimate* multimedia prog.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    I had nothing but problems trying to install mplayer under RH 9.
    In Slackware, i "./configure make makeinstall" and all was good in the world. This is the reason i quite using the "user friendly???" Distro's.....