Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You've done a good job compilining Mplayer from source, but mplayer is the command line version of this player. It is also the engine so you do need it, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You've done a good job compilining Mplayer from source, but mplayer is the command line version of this player. It is also the engine so you do need it, but I would recommend installing a frontend like MplayerGUI or something similar. It will be a lot easier for you if you use the packman precompiled versions, as you will have less work and no dependency issues (or at least fewer). This link should help you out, or you could look into adding packman and guru as YaST repositories. YaST will probably be the easiest way to install software for you, and will not only save time but ensure that your system remains consistent and updates will be easier to manager later.

Just Joined!
    GStreamer should also be able to handle WMAs, as it uses ffmpeg.

Just Joined!
    I think the VLC Media Player can play wma files without the need of any proprietary codecs... and the version which is shipped with Debian Sarge works very well here...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't think you should compile mplayer yourself.

At least, certainly not the way you did it, because you didn't include any codecs (and you should at least disable CPU runtime detection).

Just download a Suse package:

http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=128

If you REALLY want to compile it yourself, do it like that (there are many prerequired codecs and software):

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/install.html

To play a movie:
    Code:
    mplayer yourmovie.avi
    To play a DVD, you would need "lsdvd" as well (it will tell you which track to play). If it's track 1:
    Code:
    mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd
    Nothing beats MPlayer, it's worth every efforts you'll put into making it work.

lsdvd:
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i586.rpm.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux User
    always use xmms its my favorite, proboly because i used to use winamp in windows... not sure if it plays wvm's... It plays mp3s though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2