Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Get an Iriver with ogg support. Don't convert any lossy formats to other lossy formats, as you would lose some quality. Converting a lossy format to a lossless format (or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Get an Iriver with ogg support.

Don't convert any lossy formats to other lossy formats, as you would lose some quality. Converting a lossy format to a lossless format (or wav) would result in a huge arse file with the exact same quality. (I think)

Linux Guru
    My vote, too is for the iRiver.
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Guru
    Bordem has a strange way of brining out the artist in me, so I decided I'd explain things graphically.

For the sake of simplicty, let's let this sine wav represent a wav file. It's nice and uniform with shapely curves.

When you convert the wav to an mp3 (or lousy ogg, the mp3 equivilent), the algorithm compresses the wave length and cuts off the upper and lower portions of the wave. Supposedley, the stuff it cuts out is out of the range of the human ear. The wave now looks like this, as you can see, there's much less information to store (or, putting it another way, you can store much more information in the same space). The stuff that was cut out is simply gone.

Converting from mp3 to ogg isn't that bad, becuase the wave is already compressed and missing the upper and lower portions of the wav. However, it does attempt compress it a little more, and that's where you start to notice the affects.

As you can see below converting from mp3/ogg back to wav leaves huge gaps in the sine wave as compared to the original. That's because the algorithm can't put back in the missing info and that's why it sounds so crappy.

Anyway, hope that helps!
    Jeremy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Jeremy, you are amazing. Very well explained. I get it now.

I'm thinking that I'm going to get the iriver h10 (probably the 6 gb). I might use my junk(ier) windows *gasp!* computer just for the mp3 player alone, becuase the H10 connects well with windows media player.

Actually, if I can figure it out, I'll just reload the files onto my Linux computer as mp3 files, directly from the cd's . What a waste of my time.

I know that the h10 doesn't say "Linux compatible," but the only players that do are the Cowons, and they are way too expensive, plus they don't have the touch-pad style I'm looking for.

Does anyone have an iRiver H10 that is willing to share their experiences (as relating to Linux?)

Linux Guru
    Solorebellion,
    There's a ton of info if you google iriver h10 linux. There's also a project called ezH10, not to be confused with fuh2.

Let us know what you decide to get and how it goes for you.
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I always overlook the amazing tool of google for my needs. Thanks for reminding me (again)

I have another question (big surprise). If I get the Zen Micro, there is a program to transfer songs onto it here: http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/?
    It has certain requirements found here: http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/?section=requirements . Since I'm running Suse 9.1, will I already have these requirements fulfilled? If not, will it be hard to fulfil them? (sorry I'm a newb when it comes to codes and that).

thanks

sheldon

Linux Engineer
    libnjb (which in turn requires libusb).

I think you'll need to install libnjb. But libusb should be on your box.

libid3tag

Big chance that's on your box too.

gtk+-2.0 and libgnomeui

Surely on your box; for packages you need to install, look for an rpm and not for source code, because compiling and installing it will leave you with a 'filthy' system (i.e. if you ever have to uninstall those programs you will have a very hard time).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Guru
    Gnomad/libnjb is an excellent project. The people there are very helpful if you have any problems getting it up and running. I believe they've released Suse RPMs, so you should be good to go.

BTW, I have a Creative Nomad and it works great. I think Gnomad/libnjb works better then Creatives own software. The only problem is that it's closed source, and doesn't run oggs.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I ended up going with the iRiver H10 5 gig. I got it used on ebay for 150 shipped; a fair price I think. I haven't gotten it yet, but it's on the way, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

thanks again
    sheldon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2