Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install and use an Open Source non-Linear Editor on my Linux PC, and from what I have read "Cinelerra" may currently be one of the most capable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cinelerra compile/installation advice/help?

I want to install and use an Open Source non-Linear Editor on my Linux PC, and from what I have read "Cinelerra" may currently be one of the most capable (open source) NLE packages for Linux. Unfortunately, when I investigated what I needed to do to install, I discovered the "recommended" variant of "Cinelerra" (more stable, with most features) is a CVS version, of which I have no idea how to install. [Its unusual a CVS version is more stable].

Tarballs for the non-CVS variant are available from the standard Cinelerra page:
    http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3/

The software "fork" CVS Cinelerra web page URL is here (where there is also a strange CVS download page):
    http://cvs.cinelerra.org/

I am running SuSE-9.3 (and there are no precompiled SuSE-9.3 rpms that I could find for cinelerra-2.0).

Please and suggestions on how to go about learning how to download and install a CVS version? ... I do not see standard tarballs on the CVS site's web page (for ./configure, make and make install) so I am at a complete loss on how to proceed.

(Its possible the programming forum is more accurate than this multi-media games forum (for installing a CVS package), and I may move this post to there if I get no responses.)

Taken from the instructions for downloading the CVS stuff:

Code:
        export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cinelerra.org:/var/lib/cvs

cvs login
        The password is 'anoncvs'.

cvs co cinelerra
    http://cvs.cinelerra.org/cvsusage.html#anon

Thanks - but I don't know anything about CVS

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Taken from the instructions for downloading the CVS stuff:

http://cvs.cinelerra.org/cvsusage.html#anon
    Thanks. I had previously read this, and did NOT have a clue as to what it meant.

Your post motivated me to try, but it didn't work, most likely because I don't know the first thing about CVS, and it appears I need to know a minimal amount, in order to proceed. I did (foolishly ??? ) try the above, not knowing what I was doing, and I got the following:

oldcpu@linux:~/cinelerra> export CVSROOT=server:anoncvs@cvs.cinelerra.org:/var/lib/cvs
    oldcpu@linux:~/cinelerra> cvs login
    Logging in to server:anoncvs@cvs.cinelerra.org:2401/var/lib/cvs
    CVS password:
    cvs login: warning: failed to open /home/oldcpu/.cvspass for reading: No such file or directory
    oldcpu@linux:~/cinelerra>

Now I could manually create a .cvspass file/directory, and try again, but I have a feeling that I missing something fundamental. ... Like a basic knowledge of what cvs does, and what to expect ! .... Please, can you point me in the correct direction on this? Thanks.

==========================================
    Edit1: I checked, and I do have a freshly created file called .cvspass in /home/oldcpu, with a single entry:
    /1 server:anoncvs@cvs.cinelerra.org:2401/var/lib/cvs Ay=0=h<Z

I checked the permissions on the file .cvspass, and as the owner I have read and write permissions.

I have CVS-1.12.12-2.1 installed on my Linux. The bug associated with this error message is supposed to occur only with CVS versions before 1.11.2 (it was purportedly fixed in 1.11.2):
    http://ximbiot.com/cvs/wiki/index.ph...e_or_directory

So I am probably experiencing something else.

So at this stage I don't know if things are failing because I don't know what I am doing (definitely true) or if because I have the wrong packages installed on my PC (possibly) or both (most likely).

==========================================
    Edit2:
    Given the file .cvspass was successfully created above (despite the error message), I decided to carry on and try anyway. I am speculating maybe the error message is just given when the .cvspass file can't be found the very first time, and that from now on it is ok? So I tried the next step:
    oldcpu@linux:~/cinelerra> cvs co cinelerra

A lot of files where then copied to my hard drive to ~/cinelerra. Two top level subdirectorys (CVS and hvirtual) were created. "hvirtual" is loaded full of files. ... I'm not sure what they mean (nor precisely what they are for yet), but I've got something to explore. ....

I just wish I had a warm fuzzy feeling that I am on the correct path.

Gave up on Cinelerra

I gave up on compiling Cinelerra-2.0. Too many dependencies to resolve, and too many compromises to fix the dependencies. ... Maybe I'll try again in a few months time, if I upgrade to SuSE-10.0.

Hrmm...

Unfortunately, CVS can be a pain. I'll admit that I don't know too much about it myself, so I'm sorry that this happened.

Have you tried using the non-CVS one? If that works fine for ya, it'll clear up the problem.

A different approach

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Have you tried using the non-CVS one? If that works fine for ya, it'll clear up the problem.
    No, I have not tried the non-CVS one. I did read that it is as difficult as the CVS version, and it is purportedly less user friendly.

I decided to try a different approach. Instead of installing Cinelerra, I will download a live CD (that has Cinelerra on the live CD), and try running Cinelerra while running from the live CD. It will be slower, but maybe I will learn enough then, to decide if it is worth the aggrevation to try and install this package on my distribution.

dynebolic

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    I decided to try a different approach. Instead of installing Cinelerra, I will download a live CD (that has Cinelerra on the live CD), and try running Cinelerra while running from the live CD. It will be slower, but maybe I will learn enough then, to decide if it is worth the aggrevation to try and install this package on my distribution.
    The live CD Dynebolic-1.41 has a number of multi-media packages, including:
    - Cinelerra v. ??
    - LiVES-0.9.1
    - avidemux-2.0.22
    - JahShaka-1.9
    - Kino-0.6.5
    - audacity-1.2.2
    - ReZound-0.11-beta
    - transcode
    - ffmpeg

http://www.dynebolic.org/

some packages that come with pho

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    The "Pho" live CD has a number of multi-media packages, including:
    - Cinelerra - v.???
    - Jahshaka - v.1.9
    - avidemux - v.2.0.34
    - kino - v.0.7.4
    - totem - v.0.9.15.1
    - audacity - v.1.2.0
    - cinepaint - v.0.18-3
    - transcode
    - mplayer
    - ffmpeg
    http://garbure.org/pho/

It is built around a very old version of Knoppix.