Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dual boot XP(Pah)/Suse 9.0, 1.3 Celeron, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb + 8Gb HD. When I had RH9 installed I could play DVDs fine. Now that I've overwritten with Suse 9.0 I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Jerky DVD

Dual boot XP(Pah)/Suse 9.0, 1.3 Celeron, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb + 8Gb HD.

When I had RH9 installed I could play DVDs fine. Now that I've overwritten with Suse 9.0 I'm finding that DVDs don't play back smoothly. All seems well but about every 5 seconds there is a little jitter. Enough to spoil watching the DVD though.

Have tried changing/disabling sound server in KDE control centre but no joy.

Any ideas?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

flw
    Linux Engineer
    From your description it seems pretty clear to be your distro and not your hardware. So (although it stinks) have you given SuSE support (60 day) a shot? All it will cost you is time but certainly pursue other info sources as well in the mean time.

Disreguarding the current issue of RH 9 being the last of the bunch from them, it worked for you. The without knowing which kernel (2.4 vs 2.6 beta) you chose to install, your system is ripe for bugs o plenty. That can be the joy or pain of a x.0 install vs a x.1 or x.2
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Engineer
    Kernel was the 2.4.summatorother, not the 2.6.

I is not brave.

But the DVD thing could be that I've installed the libdevcss library wrongly. The distro ships unable to play DVDs

Seeing as Kaffeine seems to be Xine based I just rpmed libdvdcss and it played. Could be summat else I have to do though.
    Lansbury's Lido

Just Joined!

DMA issues would be my guess

from the fact that it does work, but jumps, I'd guess that SuSE hasn't been nice and set up DMA properly for that drive for you If you're running a cpu monitor, you might notice it filling right up while you're trying to play DVDs.

One way to fix this is to use hdparm - try something like
    "hdparm -d1 -x69 -c1 /dev/dvd", although you might need to replace /dev/dvd with /dev/hda, hdb, hdc or hdd (depending on whether your dvd drive is the IDE primary master, slave, secondary master or slave) if suse hasn't put the symlink in.

Also, you might want to check your motherboard manufacturer has released linux drivers (if it's a board based on a VIA chipset, like mine, then the answer is yes) - it might be worth trying them.

Good luck champ

-d

Linux Engineer
    Dionysus, get an error with the -x69 parm.

Any ideas?

Ta
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Engineer
    No probs, just did it with -d1 dma and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lansbury's Lido