Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, Having purchased some music from iTunes through Windows, I was wondering if there is anyway to play this music in Linux without having to burn a CD. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Playing mp4's (iTunes bought music)

Hey everyone,

Having purchased some music from iTunes through Windows, I was wondering if there is anyway to play this music in Linux without having to burn a CD. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    http://www.hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/ has a java app that can convert them to mp3 or ogg.

And this site http://www.captain.at/howto-debian-s...mp4-plugin.php tells how to get an mp4 plugin for xmms, its a .deb, so you may have to use alien to convert it to something yast can handle...not sure
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

You can play MP4s with a couple of plugins that are knocking around but I hear that the iTunes ones with DRM are encrypted, and won't play. On the other hand GTKPod lets you pull tunes back from your iPod so I dunno if that's for songs you drop using GTKPod or if it has any process for this.

It seems that the plugin for XMMS is for unencrypted ones and that jhymn project looks a little legally sketchy. I will continue looking in the mean time.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.