Find the answer to your Linux question:
New to linux, Athlon,512ram, Gforce mx something video, sound blaster with live drive, RH9 installed on drive hdd1, XP on C:\. ps RH9 from a news agent. Under windows using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Audio and dependencies

New to linux, Athlon,512ram, Gforce mx something video, sound blaster with live drive, RH9 installed on drive hdd1, XP on C:\. ps RH9 from a news agent.

Under windows using Cooledit Pro, I set the input device with windows mixer.
    Under linux using both rezound and audacity I can't get any input from my mic which is plugged into the live drive (as it has been for cooledit). I can import wav files and manipulate and listen to them. Have I missed something??

I successfully installed drivers to allow me to see C:\ and D:\ (ntfs) and two audio manipulation programs, (all off the net) but failed to install xine which came on the distro. I get dependency errors, but I can't find the files in question anywhere on the CDs. (libaa.so.1, libxine.so.1, xine-lib) should I expect these to be on the distro or do I search the web for them.

How do I mount a USB flash drive.

***Moved to Gaming/Multimedia/Entertainment***

Welcome to the forums, first off!

As for your sound issues, what kernel are you running (command to find this out: uname -r)? What sound driver are you using (OSS or ALSA)?

Finding RPM's: http://rpmfind.net

And I'm not sure on the USB drive...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    As for your sound issues, what kernel are you running (command to find this out: uname -r)? What sound driver are you using (OSS or ALSA)?

kernel is 2.4.20-8
    I believe it is running OSS,( the distro talks about ALSA and where to get it but I haven't attempted to install it yet. I'm only a week old )

I found xine as an rpm on the RH distro, it was during the install that the other three files (libaa.so.1, libxine.so.1, xine-lib) were mentioned as dependency failures, xine has not installed. As I said in the last post, the sound card seems to be working to listen to, it's getting an input through the mic in the 'live drive' which is a front mounted plug in box that interfaces to the 'soundblaster' card, has optical inputs, rca inputs, mic input, midi in & out, headphones.
    I have been using it with windows and cooledit pro, but I selected the input via windows mixer.

ps I found some other references to the usb memory drive, I'll give them a try.

AMD athlon 1700(I think)
    512M ram ddr
    xp pro on C:\
    RH9(shrike) on hdd1
    kernel 2.4.20-8

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    /me is awake for this post.

Should've sent you here: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1

That's the OSS driver you'll want to use for the SB cards with LiveDrives. I used it when I used OSS. ALSA is nice...very simple to install with a 2.6.0 kernel, if you feel like messing around with that.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I will get around to upgrading the kernel, but I want to get a handle on what i've got first. Thanks for the pointers, I check out the web site.