Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, i know that doom 3 has given many people sound problems, as well as many other id games. but i just cant get it fixed. sofar ive found that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

doom 3 sound problem

ok, i know that doom 3 has given many people sound problems, as well as many other id games. but i just cant get it fixed. sofar ive found that apparently because of alsa having to transfer doom3's 44.1 khz sound to the48 khz that alsa uses, it causes that robotic voice and sound affects that im trying to make out in game. so aparently the fix is to use oss emulation but when i do that i get no sound and the game goes really slow. (like 2 fps if any) however about every minuet it speeds up to normal(but with out sound) for about 5 seconds, then goes slow again. so i go and see if mplayer can use oss and it is just perfectly happy with it. so does anyone know how to fix this.

i have a c-media 7.1 channel soundcard (not using all 7.1 speakers though)

ive tried it with a 2.6.12 kernel and the latest 2.6.13 kernel (stable)
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Newbie
    have you tried just using windows?

sorry bad joke...

i had this problem too ... for me i just went into my package manager and reinstalled alsa (update / upgrade) and added the -devel packages (i think i clicked on just about everything alsa related ... and it worked fine doubt it will help but just putting it out there.
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Have you looked at the Doom 3 FAQ?

Long URL
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ok this point may be worth concidering

on amd64 systems you may need to get the snd-ioctl32 module loaded in

now how would i load that module. how would i even get that module.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

those dont seem to work. i have sound but its all metalicy.

Linux Newbie
    Ok, I had this problem a while back too and I fixed it. I think this was what I did:

Go into the Doom 3 configuration file. (Should be in a hidden /.doom3 file)

Change the sound device from "Default" to "plughw:0" and make sure that it's also set to OSS rather than ALSA.

Save the changes, run doom3. If it still doesn't work, reboot and give it a try (I can't remember if I needed to reboot or not)

Good luck!
    Cause the whole world loves it when you don\'t get down.
    And the whole world loves it when you make that sound.

hmm, well, i do have oss running without freezing, but no sound is coming out with it. in oss, as long as i dont use dsp its normal (without sound). i am using alsa as built in. do you think i should use the module form?

Linux User
    My sound was funky as well.. I changed the setting for the number of speakers to 2 and it sounds normal now.. Fixed my Quake 4 Sound problem the same way..

set NumberOfSpeakers 2

that Faq worked for me..
    far...out

Linux User
    i had no sound at all, until i used the command
    Code:
    doom3 +set s_driver oss
    which interestingly enough, if i make that a shortcut on my desktop, the sound works fine, but if i but the EXACT same command into the gnome menu, the sound does not work

well i havent gotten anywhere closer with sound, exept i do know that in oss as long as i dnt use the dsp device the computer doesnt slow down, but in oss i have no sound at all. im thinking i might need to try using alsa as a moduleor just have to get a new sound card

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast