Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My laptop, sadly, has a Molity Radeon 9000 card in it, and i just finished installing the ATI drivers, im getting a fgl_glxgear score of anywhere between 150 and 280 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

3D Acceleration with ATI

My laptop, sadly, has a Molity Radeon 9000 card in it, and i just finished installing the ATI drivers, im getting a fgl_glxgear score of anywhere between 150 and 280 fps, but i have nothing to compare this to. Im not looking to do much, but it would be nice if i could get neverwinter nights to run on my laptop. possible?

Linux Guru
    The ATI drivers for Linux support none of the mobility versions. You may try the Gatos project, but I warn in advance it's not nearly as good. I installed and it got it running, for a dramatic increase in fps of like 10. I'm not kidding either. For all the work it was, it sure wasn't worth it!

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

I believe the regular old "radeon" driver provided with the kernel supports your card. You can get 3d accelleration with this driver and will most likely provide you with the necessary tools to play neverwinter nights.

here is a guide specific to gentoo but most of the stuff is cross-distro applicable.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    The ATI drivers for Linux support none of the mobility versions.
    Hum?

This worked like a charm for me:

http://www.atworkonline.it/~bibe/sarge/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Engineer
    X.org should come with a driver. Radeons 9250 and below are the only video cards with free 3D drivers, except for the imcomplete Open Graphics Project.

Linux Newbie
    I wish Radeon didn't short-straw their Linux folks as much as they did. I was just noting how a normal GeForce score in glxgears is 2500 fps. Is a Radeon card truly game-compatible in Linux? If I had one and was playing UT2004, would my framerate be as terrible as the glxgears score would reflect?
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Just Joined!
    Your score may be low because it takes a bit of tweaking to get DRI working. If your system is an AMD64 you will need some libraries installed for compatability, if your kernel is from the 2.6 series you may need to patch mtrr.

Without DRI I get a fps around 250
    With DRI I get around 2000

On both a desktop (P4 2.8Ghz, Radeon 9800) and a laptop (AMD 64 @ 2Ghz, Radeon 200M)

Just Joined!
    ^ would you mind enligtening us on which libraries are needed for a amd64

Just Joined!
    The main one is libstdc++-v3 ... but depending on your distro and what it installs as part of the base system you may need more. My 64 system only need libstdc running gentoo. I have heard that mandrivia needs 4 others that are not part of the base instal.

Linux User
    ive gotten a couple of free 3d games to run flawlessly on my laptop, namely tux racer and billardGL, also americas army. all of them run flawlessly. Ive got a copy of doom3, but my laptop wouldnt likely run that in windows let alone linux.

now, do those tricks above really boost performance, or do they just up my glx_gears score

ps, on my desktop, i can run glxgears, but no matter how long i wait, i dont get any feedback (fps, etc) how can i get it to give me anumber, id like to compare it to my laptop

EDIT, now glxgears must be run like this:
    Code:
    glxgears -iacknowledgethatthistoolisnotabenchmark
    to actually display anything

EDIT2: my laptop scores 1000
    EDIT3: desktop: 7500... wow, bit of a difference

yet another edit: just upraded my drivers, and wow. I'm now gettin as high as 1800 fps on glxgears, with the lowest around 1400. considering that my laptop's specs arent through the roof, i dont think thats very bad at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast