Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
@ fingal Many thanks for the kind words, especially about the music? hehe. As you can tell some of the stuff was just an experiment, trying out the new Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

@ fingal

Many thanks for the kind words, especially about the music? hehe.

As you can tell some of the stuff was just an experiment, trying out the new Linux box. A friend said almost the same thing about that track and visualisations but he was using windows and winamp!

I will have to check out the Groom vis plug as this is all fairly new to me, I'm using gxine mainly (has some full screen vis) and also xmms.

"tis the season to be jolly"

Have a goodun all.

fake

Just Joined!

DeMudi, Ardour, and...

Thanks for all the posts, folks!

I've been using a Digi001 card and ProTools for a couple of years.

Now that I want to move to Linux, I was wondering if anyone knows whether my Digi001 card will/can be recognized in a Demudi/Ardour configuration?

I've visited the Ardour site, but my card is not listed. The site also suggests not using a standard card like my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, rather the M-Audio or Hammerfall series.

I'd really like to get free of Windows, but being new I'm not afraid to seek advice.

Got any?

Advice, I mean.

Linux User
    from the looks of this page http://ardour.org/money.php I don't belive the digidesign cards are supported nor will they ever be supported unless the manufacturer changes something..

Learning from others' mistakes

Lets take a look at what other DAW producers have done in the OS arena, and why it should matter to you:

* Some with a hardware focus, such as Digidesign and Mark of the Unicorn, rely on existing commercial operating systems like Windows and MacOS. It's generally acknowledged that the OS is the weakest link in their products.
    * Others, such as Mackie, have taken on the task of writing their own real-time operating system. A noble task, to be sure, but ultimately a rather pointless one when many of the best OS developers in the world are working on freely available open source systems capable of much the same performance.
    * Still others, such as iZ (RADAR), adopted the BeOS operating system, only to watch as it has slowly but surely sunk, first by being converted from a multimedia oriented system into an "internet appliance" one. Then Be Inc. essentially collapsed, leaving iZ with a beautiful piece of design running on a dead OS.
    * Finally, the software DAW companies, like Emagic and Steinberg rely entirely on proprietary operating systems, with the same fragilities as systems like Digidesign's and MOTU's, without standalone hardware to provide any assistance at all.
    far...out

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thanks for info...

...I had already read it at the ardour site, but was kinda hoping someone had lucked out with it.

Oh, well. For the interim I'll just have to maintain a Windows partition.

Thanks again, all.

Helo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2