Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi - I've been thinking about building a box for the Agnula distro. Does anyone have any experience with using this for producing cds/recording their own music? Any hints or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Agnula - do you use it?

Hi -

I've been thinking about building a box for the Agnula distro. Does anyone have any experience with using this for producing cds/recording their own music?

Any hints or pointers would be appreciated. It's been mentioned in these forums a few times. I think it's either based on Debian or Redhat ... I would be particularly interested to hear from someone who uses it professionally, but if you are a hobbyist then that's cool too.

Thanks

EDIT: I believe that a working music production studio would need a box with a twin cpu setup. If you have any experience with building a duel cpu machine with a RAID configuration your comments would also be very welcome.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I have installed Agnula, particularly Demudi, several times. Now I am a hobbyist but I was pretty happy with it. The first time I installed was on my laptop with the 2.4 kernel. The music stuff worked great but when I went to try to get things working for my wireless card the music stuff stopped working, mainly ALSA. I was unable to recover. This was a result I am sure of going to the 2.6 kernel. There were a few other misc issues with dependencies and apt. But it worked OK for what it is supposed to be. I currently don't use Agnula, but what I have done with success is intall a base Debian system and then install the Agnula multimedia kernel. This works great and I have a more stable Debian system. Let me know if you need more specifics and I'll let you know!

Also read Ardour's documentation for system requirements. Very good read. Good sound card will matter more than the Dual cpu I have a feeling.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity
    Let me know if you need more specifics and I'll let you know!
    Okay - thanks for your reply. Immediate questions would be:

- Did you do any multi-tracking with Agnula? If so, how fast/slow was this?
    - Did you use Jack, and if so, how easy was this to learn/use?
    - Even if you recorded single tracks, how fast was Agnula for you?
    - Did you link your box to any additional hardware, and if so how did you do this?
    - Have you used a professional quality soundcard with Agnula?

- Killer question. Do you think Agnula could compete with a professional quality editing/music production suite, such as you might find on a Windows/Mac setup?

These are quite detailed questions, but I have them in my mind anyway. Sorry to ask such scary questions!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

- Did you do any multi-tracking with Agnula? If so, how fast/slow was this?
    Yes, Not more than two tracks actually, but is was a more responsive than my XP box with cubase. Although my XP box hasn't been fully tweaked for latency yet.

- Did you use Jack, and if so, how easy was this to learn/use?
    Jack, came with Agnula already working. No issues there.

- Even if you recorded single tracks, how fast was Agnula for you?
    Once again, was very respectable.

- Did you link your box to any additional hardware, and if so how did you do this?
    The additional hardware I have was a Tascam U122 USB soundcard. This was very difficult to get working but I finally managed to get it working from some tips on an Ubuntu forum.

- Have you used a professional quality soundcard with Agnula?
    Not really, My Tascam USB thing is not really professional more a low to mid-range card. This seems to be akin to the video card situation with ATI and Nvidia. Make sure their is Linux support before purchasing expensive hardware. It looks like M-Audio Delta and RME Hammerfall are the best.

- Killer question. Do you think Agnula could compete with a professional quality editing/music production suite, such as you might find on a Windows/Mac setup?
    Absolutely! If I were to build a system from scratch using the ardour documentation as a guide. I think it would be a very capable system. Especially now as more work on VST plugins is being done. Here's a link of some proof:http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb0...irrorimage.htm
    -Einstein

Thanks for your answers! Very helpful. I'm definitely interested in looking at this in more depth.

Have some bananas ... The only reward I have at the moment.

Thanks. I have a big interest in making this work for Linux and the more people involved the better.
    -Einstein

Just Joined!

linux audio - tascam u122 usb

Hi all,
    I'm new to this list, and have an urgent problem.
    I'm writing a final paper for an Audio Engineer course, subject "Linux Audio".
    I planned to set up a small DAW (Compaq laptop + demudi). The demudi installation went fine, all the audio and midi apps are there but I'm having trouble getting an external audio interface connected.
    I have a tascam u122 usb and an M-audio audiophile usb, both supposedly supported devices when I look at the alsa soundcard matrix.
    But I can't get them running. The M-audio works as playback device (both for audio and midi, but without using jack), the tascam doesn't light up at all. No way to get anything IN with either device.
    Is there any comprehensive documentation on how to set up and configure a system to work with either of these interfaces. I am not afraid of some tech talk (quite some unix experience, but not as a programmer), but I currently don't have the time to dig in too deep. I read there were some good tips on an ubutu-forum for the tascam, but couldn't find these. Any suggestions ?

Rgds
    Ivo Vangerven

This is what I did to get my 122 working. (link below) Follow it exactly and you should be ok. If I'm not mistaken I had to downgrade a few packages per the article, which I already had installed per the Agnula installation. If you run into any problems let me know and I might be able to help. It might get a bit tricky with the M-Audio installed and the 122 however.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=tascam
    -Einstein

Just Joined!

DeMuDi

Hi, I am a newbie to Linux but glad to say that I have been using DeMuDi with dssi-vst support for a few months now.

I have had very few problems and used it to record over 2 and a half hours of live jamming a few weeks ago. Recorded using Ardour and some soft synths/guitars and the results were brilliant!

I must encourage it's use, while not a replacement for windows at the moment ( I have too many unfinished pieces of music still to do) it has some great things going for it.
    Jack is a dream

I like it so much that I have written a few pages on setting up DeMuDi with vst support. I have tried to make it sound simple so here is the link:

http://www.thefakedj.co.uk

Hope it may be of help to others.

Enjoy

fake

Re: DeMuDi

Quote Originally Posted by fake
    http://www.thefakedj.co.uk

Hope it may be of help to others.

Enjoy

fake
    Yes indeed! I like your site, though haven't checked out your sounds yet. Will do that this evening. I haven't followed up on my curiosity about DeMudi yet... Looks like a project for next year. Money's a bit tight atm.

Just shows what you can do with a strong central idea and some creativity.

EDIT: Well here I am listening to 'Crystal Clear' which is a track from fake's website. It's not like anything I'm used to, coming from more of a rock/folk background ... I like it though. A lot of ideas in there about the sea, water in general, whale song and dolphins ... Quite relaxing as well. I used Kaffeine to play the mp3 and twiddled with a few settings as I went along. I only have a 2.1 soundcard, but honestly the output from my Altec Lansing speakers is enough to wake the dead.

Using the goom visual plugin gives you a nice display as well. What do you suppose it would be like to have a room full of people in front of a big plasma screen watching this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast