Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
well, installed it! it says that it cant put itself into the startup script or something (says it only cn for a few distros) so i have to do it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

well, installed it! it says that it cant put itself into the startup script or something (says it only cn for a few distros) so i have to do it myself or any time i want ti use it i will have to turn it on with (as root) soundon. so how would i go about making this automaticly stat up on boot.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    well, installed it! it says that it cant put itself into the startup script or something (says it only cn for a few distros) so i have to do it myself or any time i want ti use it i will have to turn it on with (as root) soundon. so how would i go about making this automaticly stat up on boot.
    is there something related to OSS in /etc/init.d? In that case "rc-update add <name> default" iirc should work.

Linux User
    Well, Gentoo must have some initscript section for users. What's the command to start oss, soundon or some such? You should be able to just add that to rc.local, or whatever it is in Gentoo. It's not very difficult for oss, if I recall.

Here's the section on initscripts from the Gentoo Handbook
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=2&chap=4
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

the program that start the sound driver is /usr/lib/oss/bin/soundon. its is by default only allowed to be executed by root however root needs the full path name. i dont see annything pertaining to oss in /etc/init.d and im not shure what i would have to do to add it. would i have to write a script?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2