Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, i had to switch from alsa to oss to get better sound suport for my sound card, and to get doom 3 to work. but i dont know any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

oss stuff

ok, i had to switch from alsa to oss to get better sound suport for my sound card, and to get doom 3 to work. but i dont know any of the tools oss uses. like how alsa had alsamixer. i dont know the equivelent of it. also, i can only use one sound source at a time. is there a way of making it take more sources at once?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux User
    http://www.opensound.com/virtmix.html

That'll get you going with the OSS dmix equivalent (which is actually smoother, in my estimation)
    And soundconf will do most of your configuration, just search your distros repository for mixer or 'oss mixer' for that. aumix is a common one, but if you use a DE then you should have an oss compatible mixer available if you setup the DE properly for your sound system.

Which sound card do you have, by the way?
    Edit: I see the Aopen 8768 there, what's it doing wrong in Alsa? I've been considering that chipset for budget customers, but haven't made the plunge yet.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

its a nice card realy. i guess that a 7.1 sound blaster live might be a better choice, its only a couple dollars more and it has hardware mixing. however i wasnt so shure how good the sb live was since i saw so many posts about how to set it up. of course that could have just been because so many people have them . but as long as you use oss its great. i was never able to get it to do true 5.1 sound with alsa. but in oss it worked right from the start. the only problem i am having is i have no sound mixing and im not shure how to set up the mic. i would recomend the card if you want a nice cheap solution. althopugh everybody is switching to alsa, almost everything that does alsa can do oss, and there are still a lot of things that only do oss.

edit- oh ya, i dont have soundconf or any other oss tools and i dont know how to get them from gentoo.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    soundconf should come with the OSS driver package. Unless you're using oss/free which has been deprecated in the kernel? Try an slocate or read the included docs, I don't remember where the oss stuff is stored. The docs are good, though, and will do a lot to guide you gently.

I hate to say rtfm, but in this case they summarize things much better than I could.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

whats oss/free, im using the thing thats in the kernel, which it says it is depritiated.

Linux Engineer
    In that case, this might be what you're looking for:
    http://www.opensound.com/

(honestly, I don't know the difference)

well, should i be using the one in the kernel or should i use something else, (which im getting th impression that there is something else).

Linux User
    I would be using the proprietary version from opensound.com You have to pay for support, and to remove a nag when you load the module, but it has software mixing, better hardware support (oss/free in the kernel is deprecated), and alsa emulation among others.
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe

sooooo, i can get it, for free right?

Linux Engineer
    OSS/Linux is a commercial implementation of the Linux sound drivers that are packaged with the Linux kernel. OSS/Linux is 100% compatible with the "freeware" drivers (now known as OSS/Free).
    You can download from here: http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi

But I think I heard you have to update every 6 months or so to use it for free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast