Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
The only reason I don't move to Linux forever are the games. I know there are programs like Wine which make games for Windows work in Linux (emulation blabla), but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Win32 games in Linux... I don't get it...

The only reason I don't move to Linux forever are the games.
    I know there are programs like Wine which make games for Windows work in Linux (emulation blabla), but I also read somewhere most games (especially older ones) are hacked and rewritten for Linux, and are available for free.

At the moment I'm just trying things out. The testgame is GTA Vice City, but I can't get it working. First thing: how to install?!
    And second: How to use Wine properly?

Or is Wine just a detour and should I try the "Linux version". Where can I get it? (And other games...)

I hope someone can explain.

Regards,

René

Re: Win32 games in Linux... I don't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by renevanh
    I know there are programs like Wine which make games for Windows work in Linux (emulation blabla), but I also read somewhere most games (especially older ones) are hacked and rewritten for Linux, and are available for free.
    In most cases, the original authors of the game opened up the source code, allowing hackers like Ryan "Icculus" Gordon to recompile and reprogram Linux versions of them. Usually the client for the game is available for free, but the actual game data is not, so a legitimate copy of the game data files (usually found on the Win32 CD) is still needed.

Some companies, such as Id Software and Bioware, offer native Linux versions of their games. Id has been the best with this so far, and there's a native Linux client (either by them officially or by various Linux hackers) of every single title they've released.

At the moment I'm just trying things out. The testgame is GTA Vice City, but I can't get it working. First thing: how to install?!
    And second: How to use Wine properly?

Or is Wine just a detour and should I try the "Linux version". Where can I get it? (And other games...)
    As far as I know, Rockstar has no plans for a Linux version of any of their GTA games, but you might be able to get it working in either WINE (which is free) or Transgaming's Cedega (which is not).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i feel as long as cadega is around there will always be a hit and miss representation of linux comercial games.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Enthusiast
    renevanh wrote:

This is also why I haven't fully moved to linux

Yeah I tried Cedega, and it is very good, it just did not support the games I like, which is not shoot and kill, any way if I want to shoot something, I play UT2004 which has native play.

I am pretty sure Cedega supports Vice City and it is relativily cheap, but the vote system totally sucks, and if you are into something slightly different, you will be wasting money. Sorry to sound negative, but I did waste my money on a false hope that they may support my games.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well there other option is to multi-boot and have windows and linux on the same harddrive or different harddrives

Actually, since Cedega wont support my games, that is what I do. Also as a little trick, if you use firefox in both windows and linux, set a virtual link from you windows bookmarks to the linux bookmarks, and you have the same browsing between both platforms.

Linux Enthusiast
    I thought he was talking about getting windows games to work under linux, not browsing

Linux Enthusiast
    He was, just sepius was being nice and giving another tip

what version of cedega did you try? I'm using 5.0 and GTA3 runs perfectly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast