Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so I like playing my games, and I usually have a lot of fun playing them. But one thing that's bothering me a LOT is the fact that almost ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Blackouts

Ok, so I like playing my games, and I usually have a lot of fun playing them. But one thing that's bothering me a LOT is the fact that almost all of my games (even the ones I use thru cedega) blackout about every five minutes.

I'll be playing the game, and then the screen will go complete black. The game still runs, and a simple ctrl-alt-f6 followed by ctrl-alt-f7 brings all the graphics back up, but the five minutes later it all goes away again and I have to do it all over again. It's really irritating.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

The games it has happened on:
    Quake 4
    Doom 3
    NWN (all 3)
    Descent 3

Specs:
    AMD 2700+
    GEForce FX 5600 256mb
    512mb ram
    Kernel 2.6.4 (I think, whatever FC4 uses by default)
    Fedora Core 4
    Cause the whole world loves it when you don\'t get down.
    And the whole world loves it when you make that sound.

thats strange, are you using the latest gfx drivers? how long have you been using this instalation of fc4 and what have you done to it thus far?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Newbie
    Yes- I'm using the latest drivers from nVidia.

I've been using FC4 for about a month now and haven't done anything to it but install codecs for music and movies (this is my entertainment box). I switched from Mandrake 10.1 hoping it would solve the problem (which mandriva also had), but it didn't.

Linux Newbie
    My bad- my kernel version is 2.6.13

Linux Enthusiast
    Quake 4 is going to have a linux installer
    Doom 3 does have one, try them, instead of cedega

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    Quake 4 is going to have a linux installer
    Doom 3 does have one, try them, instead of cedega
    I know... I use the quake 4 client. And the Doom client. And the NWN client. I said some of the games I run is Cedega do it too, i don't actually run those in cedega because they have a linux client. But it doesn't make a difference because they still blackout.

Linux Enthusiast
    It might just help if you compiled nvidia support into the kernel. I have heard you have to do it for ATI but not for nvidia, not sure but it might help you a bit.

Also, does it happen in all the desktop environments you use or just the one you are using now?

i'd like to add that im having the same problem on my laptop and i have a geforce go 6600. it might be slightly different because the sound becomes choppy (i'm playing musio at the same time) and Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't have any effect. if it happens again, i'll try F6.

it seems like it could be a problem with X, and since games are running, it would override the normal commands. if there is a way to get out and force the server to close without having to restart, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    It might just help if you compiled nvidia support into the kernel. I have heard you have to do it for ATI but not for nvidia, not sure but it might help you a bit.

Also, does it happen in all the desktop environments you use or just the one you are using now?
    I use Gnome but it has happened in KDE before too.

How do I compile the nVidia support into the kernel?

Linux Newbie
    I upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers and ran quake 4 to see if it still happened. Less than 5 minutes into the game it blacked out again. This is starting to piss me off.