Find the answer to your Linux question:
Lately, every time I start up XMMS it freezes up and won't close, won't do anything at all. Is there any way I can get it to close down and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

XMMS freezes in KNOPPIX

Lately, every time I start up XMMS it freezes up and won't close, won't do anything at all. Is there any way I can get it to close down and then I could restart it and maybe it would work? For some reason it really bugs me when things are open and not working.

Sometimes a package will just stop working well for no obvious reason. Here are some things to try ...

Open a terminal up and type top ... You'll get a list of processes, one of which should be xmms. Each process has a PID or Process IDentification number. Make a note of the PID for xmms.

su
    root password
    kill <insert PID for xmms>

If you run top as root you can also k=kill the process from there. This isn't really good practice (but I would do it!)

In the terminal type xmms. This allows you to see xmms starting up from the backend ... There may be some error messages: a clue to your problems.

Assuming you use KDE you can also get process information by hitting Ctrl+Esc. I often confuse this with hitting Ctrl+Esc+Alt which gives you a skull and crossbones crosshair for killing desktop processes. From then on newbies treat me with fear and loathing.

Xmms relies on Glib ver. 1 (I think) and sometimes it ends up installed on systems running Glib ver. 2 ... that breaks the xmms packages.

This may help, it may not. It should at least get you further down the road.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

kbk
    I used the ctrl+alt thing, it worked fine. I'll see if I can figure exactly whats wrong later. Thanks alot! :P

A good old
    Code:
    killall -9 <program name>
    always seems to work well for me when I need to kill something that isn't responding.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.