Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Just played the demo to Darwinia, A game native for Linux (also for wankdoze too) Get it at http://www.darwinia.co.uk/ I got the link from Australian Linux Magazine by Next ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Darwinia - Gota check this one out

Hey, Just played the demo to Darwinia, A game native for Linux (also for wankdoze too)

Get it at http://www.darwinia.co.uk/ I got the link from Australian Linux Magazine by Next Handbooks http://www.next.com.au

The demo can be played probably in about an hour (I took 3 hours, could not stop checking stuff out) It costs 29.99 euros and download is around 30M

Defenately going to support this one. Its a god game with an extended art style similar to the movie TRON. Check the engineers, they look familiar. Basic story line is Green vs Red, and has one of the ultimate geek lines, a digital free world with life forms that think for them selve!!. Do the demo and watch the cut sceens (if you are a geek!!)

Oh Graphically, well I played this on Xandros with ATI 9250 128M with the OOTB ATI drivers from Xandros and frame rate was good, but the art is quite suitable without being too graphic intensive.

Anyway let me know what you think, I think it is worth getting.

I'm pretty amazed there will be a game avaiable through Steam that has a Linux port!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Neat game, I played the demo. I have my reservations about supporting a game that uses Steam as its content delivery engine though, even if it's only for the MS Windows version.

[rant]
    Steam is evil. It will eat your children and cause you to grow hairy palms. It is the mark of the beast and you will be doomed to eternal hellfires if you use it. Oh, and it's smelly.
    [/rant]

Seriously though, I continue to boycott Steam.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast

Re: Darwinia - Gota check this one out

Quote Originally Posted by sepius
    Hey, Just played the demo to Darwinia, A game native for Linux (also for wankdoze too)

Get it at http://www.darwinia.co.uk/ I got the link from Australian Linux Magazine by Next Handbooks http://www.next.com.au

The demo can be played probably in about an hour (I took 3 hours, could not stop checking stuff out) It costs 29.99 euros and download is around 30M

Defenately going to support this one. Its a god game with an extended art style similar to the movie TRON. Check the engineers, they look familiar. Basic story line is Green vs Red, and has one of the ultimate geek lines, a digital free world with life forms that think for them selve!!. Do the demo and watch the cut sceens (if you are a geek!!)

Oh Graphically, well I played this on Xandros with ATI 9250 128M with the OOTB ATI drivers from Xandros and frame rate was good, but the art is quite suitable without being too graphic intensive.

Anyway let me know what you think, I think it is worth getting.
    Good adjective, too bad I do not use steam, also, I would recommend you change that bit or feel the wrath of the admin1!1!!!!1111 lol

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Steam is evil. It will eat your children and cause you to grow hairy palms. It is the mark of the beast and you will be doomed to eternal hellfires if you use it. Oh, and it's smelly.
    :scratches chin: Hmmm... So that's what's causing it...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Um ... Scuze my ingnorance, I saw something of steam, but I actually have no idea what it is. I thought this was some business contact thing, and to be truthful saw wankdoze and kinda stopped reading and went straight to the linux stuff.
    So what is Steam??

Um ... Scuze my ingnorance, I saw something of steam, but I actually have no idea what it is. I thought this was some business contact thing, and to be truthful saw wankdoze and kinda stopped reading and went straight to the linux stuff.
    So what is Steam??
    Steam is a "content delivery system" which is used by game developing company Valve to keep tabs on people who use their software. When you buy for instance Half-Life 2, you cannot play it at all (even the single player) until you log on to Steam (therefore you must have an internet connection) and "unlock" the game via a very long process.

After you've "unlocked" the game you already paid money for, you must then log into Steam (and thus be online) every time you want to play it, even if it's just for the single player game.

Valve also uses Steam to notify users of patches and deliver digital media content (see: other games, mods and expansion packs).
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    In other words, the Big Brother of the gaming world

Something about steam is not right. A registration system I can understand, but to be online to play single player at home ... hmm bit dodgy I think. I'll just unplug my camera and start playing with clothes on!.

Curious though, they are realeasing a linux version and MAC. Does this mean there will be linux versions of steam?? I do hope not, it would seem a bit wrong for the linux community.

I still think the game is good, and I like to supoport any commercial release in linux to let publishers know that good games will be paid for (get past the linux hacker, everything should be free, type thing, as apposed to open source, which is good!(compare Linux to XP ... hmmm)) so that good games get released in linux, or even the more obscure games at least.

Curious though, they are realeasing a linux version and MAC. Does this mean there will be linux versions of steam?? I do hope not, it would seem a bit wrong for the linux community.
    Oh no, don't confuse their choice to deliver the MS Windows version over Steam with any plans to port Steam to Linux. Valve has been very ardent in refusing to port any of their software (or even open up the source for it) to Linux, so it's going to be a cold day in Hell before we see Steam on Linux (which is fine with me, I don't want it.)

Not to mention that the company that made Darwinia isn't in any way related to Valve, AFAIK. They just use Valve's Steam engine to distribute their game to MS Windows users.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants