Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I recently switched from Windows 2000 to Suse Linux ... so far, so good! The only tool I have not found for Linux so far is a still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video Capture Software for Linux

Hi there,

I recently switched from Windows 2000 to Suse Linux ... so far, so good!

The only tool I have not found for Linux so far is a still video capture utility, that will let me create jpg thumbnails from Video files. On Windows I was using FrameShots 2.2 (http://www.frame-shots.com/). Batch processing from the commandline is a must, as I am processing thousands of videos.

Does anybody know of a similar uitility that will run on Linux?

You help is greatly appreciated!

- Thomas

While it may not be the fastest (or it may, I really don't know) if you have installed totem, you should also have a binary called totem-video-thumbnailer, which nautilus uses to create its video thumbnails, its syntax is very simple, and looks like an easy script.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

mmm

A related package, but I don't think it does what you want, is mmm.

http://jensge.org/?mmm

MakeMovingMenus (aka mmm) is a tool to generate a thumbnail menu background for DVD authoring for chapters of one file or multiple clips.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    While it may not be the fastest (or it may, I really don't know) if you have installed totem, you should also have a binary called totem-video-thumbnailer, which nautilus uses to create its video thumbnails, its syntax is very simple, and looks like an easy script.
    Thanks for the answer. I am running KDE 3.4.2 and Totem is not available on my system. I have Kaffeine 0.7.1 installed, which as far as my investigations tell is based on Xine as well.

Do you think there is another way that is supported on KDE?

Rgrds, Thomas Delnoij

Just Joined!
    It was only later that I found out that switching betweeen KDE and Gnome is fairly easy .... I'll do that then.

Thanks again.

Rgrds, T.