Find the answer to your Linux question:
I posted a question similar to this on the Gentoo Forums a while back but now I would like to get some feedback from these forums. Being that I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux based DAW???

I posted a question similar to this on the Gentoo Forums a while back but now I would like to get some feedback from these forums.

Being that I have been a musician for over 15 years I have been lucky enough to see the home recording studio become a common reality. Of course the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) has been at the heart of this home based evolution. From the old Atari SE and Commodore 64 to the Apple MAC G5 and in some cases WinXP based DAW's, the DAW has pretty much become the standard pro audio centerpiece of the digital revolution. Now I have noticed ever since I have begun my personal Linux journey that there isn't much of a pro audio following in the GNU/ Linux, open source world. This seems a bit odd to me for the simple reason that the most widely used OS in professional and semi-professional home based studios, the MAC OSX, is in fact a Unix based OS.

So I ask you fellow *nix users, if there are any home recording enthusiasts lurking around in these forums, what distro would you recommend as a good stable starting point for building a purely open source DAW???

Please feel free to share any tips, tricks, recommendations, etc..etc..

Linux Newbie
    Similar question to me:

http://www.linuxforums.com/forum/t52...lications.html

Any one care to share?

I dable quite a bit in home audio recording with Windows and Linux. The two best distros for audio recording seem to be Agnula and the Planet CCRMA packages for Fedora. I have personally never used Planet CCRMA but have used Agnula/Demudi. It is very good in my opinion. I have a couple posts around here regarding that.

Here's a link that I have passed around on occasion as to the potential of audio recording in Linux. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb0...irrorimage.htm
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Just Joined!
    I can't say much about other distros but I have been using Agnula/DeMuDi for a few months now and think it is very good. Maybe I was lucky as it all seemed to detect and install first time and without any problems.

I have also got vst's working using wine and the dssi-vst host which drastically increases the software instruments I am able to use. Installing vst support was easy as .deb packages are available.
    Although the vst's I use are all free it does break from the spirit of having a purely open source DAW though.

I have written a guide of a few pages of how I did it cose I wan't to encourage as many people as I can to at least give it a try.

http://www.thefakedj.co.uk/vst_index.htm

Click on the pink pig under Vst's and Linux

Hope this may be of help.

Cheers
    fake

Just Joined!
    As already mentioned there's DeMudi from aGNUla (ReMudi is no longer being actively developed), & PlanetCCRMA, but here's a few others.

Fervent Software's - Studio to Go http://www.ferventsoftware.com/

and another free one "Mediainlinux" (also based on debian)
    http://www.mediainlinux.org/

I'm curretly using aGNUla/DeMudi (for mastering)

Peace V

Just Joined!
    I have written a guide of a few pages of how I did it cose I wan't to encourage as many people as I can to at least give it a try.

http://www.thefakedj.co.uk/vst_index.htm

Click on the pink pig under Vst's and Linux

Hope this may be of help.

Cheers
    fake
    I've been looking for how to do this. Thanks.

Peace V

Linux Newbie
    Is it true you can do a normal debian install and then use the agnula thing as a repository to install the music apps?

That sounds like a plan to me....

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_lord_kodd
    Is it true you can do a normal debian install and then use the agnula thing as a repository to install the music apps?

That sounds like a plan to me....
    It is true that you can do that, however it's better to download and install DeMudi. Simply because the kernel is specifically patched for latency and such other mutimedia specific settings (which of course you can do yourself). Also all of the multimedia software you can possibly think of is included on the cd and installed automatically.

Peace V

Just Joined!
    I got here through searching for info on a LINUX-based DAW
    I found some interesting stuff but when I clicked on the links people had posted, they were dead.
    I then realized that the 2 threads I found were 3 and 4 years old, with the 3 years old one being just a first post just a question with no replies...
    Quite disappointing as that may indicate that there is not much progress made in 4 years and not much interest in using LINUX for a Digital Audio Workstation.
    I have tried several times to move to LINUX and every time I found windows answered my needs better and the applications I used ran faster and more smoothly.
    But I do think that LINUX is a great idea and a great reality and here I am again trying to look at another aspect , the LINUX-based DAW
    Have you made any progress on the matter of LINUX BASED DAW?
    Are there new developments? What’s the latest?
    Many thanks
    Veseloiu

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, veseloiu!

Please start a new thread of your own describing any issues that you are experiencing. This one is going on 5 years old.
    oz