Find the answer to your Linux question:
i got an iriver h10 (20 gig) for christmas and i found out that i can only use it if i have winXP service pack 2 and WMP 10 (because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mp3 players...

i got an iriver h10 (20 gig) for christmas and i found out that i can only use it if i have winXP service pack 2 and WMP 10 (because it uses WTP instead of UMS)

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone here could either...

reccomend me a new mp3 player (20 gig at most), 200 dollars or less, that doesnt require any special software, is linux compatiable, and prefferably plays ogg.

I've been looking at the Rio Karma, but im not sure how thrilled I am about having to run a java applet to transfer files...

Or, maybe if someone has this player and has got it working under linux could tell me how they did it?

Thanks

Linux Newbie
    well, someimes it depends on your distribution too... I managed to get my iPod Mini working under FC4, but not in Mandrake 10.1...

For that matter, I use my iPod with no problems whatsoever, but there are some people who can't get them to work at all. That and the newer the iPod is the more of a pain in the ass it is.

My brother got a samsung YP-MT6 X for christmas, its little, (512mb) but it was really damn easy to get working. Plug and play (Mandrake 10.1). Simple as that. I'd suggest looking into Samsung models.

Good luck!
    Cause the whole world loves it when you don\'t get down.
    And the whole world loves it when you make that sound.

Quote Originally Posted by afroguy013
    My brother got a samsung YP-MT6 X for christmas, its little, (512mb) but it was really damn easy to get working. Plug and play (Mandrake 10.1). Simple as that. I'd suggest looking into Samsung models.

Good luck!
    You pay for that simplicity though. Last I saw a YP-MT6Z 1Gig player goes for $169. If you can do without a screen, a shuffle is a better deal, Linux compatible or not.

**Don't mean to start a flamewar here, just offering another perspective. **

Also, I've been able to get my iPod Nano working in SuSE 9.3 and 10, but not in any other distros.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 12-28-2005 at 05:09 PM.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close