Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
A handheld game/multimedia device costing $179.90 called GP2X running LINUX OS is touted to be the Sony PSP killer. With Sony guarding their platform so deligently, this could be the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ket
    Just Joined!

A LINUX based PSP killer?

A handheld game/multimedia device costing $179.90 called GP2X running LINUX OS is touted to be the Sony PSP killer. With Sony guarding their platform so deligently, this could be the product that would render their effort to irrelevance. For detail see http://ubuntu.alllinuxcd.com

It doesn't matter how technologically advanced your platform is - it is the breadth and quality of the range of games that is king in this market place. For that reason alone, the PSP will not be overturned, it can only be compteted with.

And to be a 'killer' of anything is just not the Linux way. It is enough to simply co-exist. For Linux, nobody needs to make a 'sale' or tie their users in with watertight license agreements. These are tactics reserved for the truly "corporate-and-scared".
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I dare say the PSP has killed itself. I don't own one, don't plan to, and the one person I know who did buy one regrets it. The PSP is a good example of a moronic trend in electronics: making one device that does lots of things, but not any one of them well.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I dare say the PSP has killed itself. I don't own one, don't plan to, and the one person I know who did buy one regrets it. The PSP is a good example of a moronic trend in electronics: making one device that does lots of things, but not any one of them well.
    exactly the games are horible (although i heard the gta wasnt bad) and thats the point of it, i dont wana listen to music, or watch movies on a gameboy, thats not the point...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ket
    A handheld game/multimedia device costing $179.90 called GP2X running LINUX OS is touted to be the Sony PSP killer. With Sony guarding their platform so deligently, this could be the product that would render their effort to irrelevance. For detail see http://ubuntu.alllinuxcd.com
    I dunno, it neither has the power to match the PSP, also a lot of the emulators on the GP2X require some level of technical knowledge to play - Maybe just browsing to an image file but still it can't be handed to a fool who can just stick a UMD in the back. I actually have been watching the GPAX and GP2X for a while and hope to get one, but I think it's really a different market to the PSP.

looks ok, but i realy dont think it would kill the psp. the psp is a very nice system, although the games arent exactly the best as of yet (seeing as how nintendo has mower over most hand held games meaning psp will have to start from scratch in bilding portable titles or try and convert old titles.) also sony is trying to push the umd as a viable media.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    It doesn't matter how technologically advanced your platform is - it is the breadth and quality of the range of games that is king in this market place.
    Amen! I don't care if my game system can run my entire house. If it doesn't have good games, then it's no good.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

there are some really good games, the ones ive got are wipeout: pure GTA and star wars battle front, they're quality, but then ive never had a portable since the sega game gear, so ive nothing recent to compare it to, tho nintendo never beat the old sega game gear graphicswise till the ds, and thats not that good compared to psp.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Quote Originally Posted by cayalee
    there are some really good games, the ones ive got are wipeout: pure GTA and star wars battle front, they're quality, but then ive never had a portable since the sega game gear, so ive nothing recent to compare it to, tho nintendo never beat the old sega game gear graphicswise till the ds, and thats not that good compared to psp.
    There's more to a good game system than graphics. Keep in mind that the black-and-white gray brick GameBoy trounced the Game Gear in sales, and since then Nintendo has not yet had a single competitor for the handheld market aside from the PSP.

What keeps me playing my DS and GBA are the games. Good, solid, entertaining games that may not be very flashy, but they're just damned fun to play. Some examples:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
    Meteos
    Animal Crossing: Wild World
    Bookworm
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Final Fantasy 1&2: Dawn of Souls
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

kbk
    I own a PSP and I am very happy with the purchase. It has served me well, and will continue to do so. More games are coming. Socom 3 is out, and from what I hear kicks ass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast