Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Odd, I am sure 12 months ago, ATI was all the go in linux?? I switched as my nVidia would not come to the party on Mandrake. I now have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Odd, I am sure 12 months ago, ATI was all the go in linux?? I switched as my nVidia would not come to the party on Mandrake. I now have ATI9200 and Mepis ran it out of the box. I run Vega Strike and Eternal Lands (both native and free (as in beer)). They both have minor bugs on the ATI, but the nVidia will not work easily (it now resides in a 98 machine for the enjoyment on a sudoku/sokobahn/card player) I game and do some 3d art/engineering stuff and the ATI can render nice n quick.

As for Cedega, God does not hate it. They do cater for the majority, and it is easy to feel like the sheep omongst the wolves (myself a sim2er, still waiting)

I look for native games, buy them so I can show publishers that there is a financial benifit supporting linux.

Quote Originally Posted by sepius
    Odd, I am sure 12 months ago, ATI was all the go in linux??
    Not in my house it wasn't. More than 12 months ago was when my 9800 melted.

I now have ATI9200 and Mepis ran it out of the box.
    I have my doubts that it ran 3D Accelerated out of the box. The open-source drivers also tend to work better with older cards (such as your 9200) but not at all with newer ones (9800+).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

aah yes, I have a AMD 64 in my possesion with a ATI something (not actually my box so I have not taken a lot of notice) and yes, does not work 3D accelerated, need to play more .. but a love job. And he only wants XP to load (SATA issue).

I do agree, and have found that the cheaper (older) cards do tend to be easier. I think the transition from XFree to Xorg was the thing, nVidia was quicker off the mark but failed (me) on the last versions of XFree (4.3 to memory) the ATI drivers where easier and worked (this was on mandrake as well, although Mandriva did fail me later (or I suppose ATI)).

Um, and quite serious, Mepis runs the 9200 accelerated out of the box, amazed me as well, Xandros too! (1300 fps). Suse needs some assistance, but not giving up yet. I only got onto Mepis to help a friend with a printing issue, and now I am hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by sepius
    Um, and quite serious, Mepis runs the 9200 accelerated out of the box, amazed me as well, Xandros too! (1300 fps). Suse needs some assistance, but not giving up yet. I only got onto Mepis to help a friend with a printing issue, and now I am hooked!
    Yes, but that's a 9200. As I mentioned, the open-source drivers tend to work quite well with older ATI cards. If you told me Mepis ran a 9800 or X1800 with 3D acceleration out of the box, then I'd be impressed.

I've also just realized that this thread has apparently degenerated into a "let's bash ATI" thread. I am at least partly to blame for this, but I will attempt to rectify it by closing the thread.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2