Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What a piece of crap. Or perhaps it's ATI's drivers. Either way, any attempt I make at gaming dies a quick death. Max Payne 1 and 2: Crashes C&C Generals: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

God hates Cedega...

What a piece of crap. Or perhaps it's ATI's drivers. Either way, any attempt I make at gaming dies a quick death.

Max Payne 1 and 2: Crashes
    C&C Generals: No network support
    Prince of Persia: No support at all!
    GTA3 and Vice: Crashes on install

Heck, even the UT04 demo runs like a terrorist with a leg wound (AKA CRAP).

Why??????

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Horse
    What a piece of crap. Or perhaps it's ATI's drivers. Either way, any attempt I make at gaming dies a quick death.

Why??????
    ati cant write a driver for ****... They dont seem to understand opengl somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Horse

Why??????
    UT 2004 has a native Linux version. You don't need Cedega for that. Your particular problem could be a couple of things:

1. The ATI Driver (they're notoriously bad in Linux)
    2. Cedega itself

I've tried running Cedega on 3 PCs with nearly identical specs and it only worked on one of them (my AMD64). It's hit and miss at best. If you must game, I suggest you do it with a MS Windows dual-boot.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

lol, i loved the title. makes me think of something like: "everytime you use cedega, god kills a kitten. THINK OF THE KITTENS!"

anyway, it's almost certainly ATi for the crashing. what debug messages do you get when they crash? if glx is mentioned, send hate mail to ATi. cedega runs well on my PC with warcraft III, but it doesn't support all games because, alas, not all games are popular.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

I haven't had any problems with Cedega, but then again mostly all I play are pop-cap games and HL2. WoW ran great also.

UT2004 runs great natively in Linux, but then again I have an Nvidia card.

And yes, ATI's Linux drivers really do suck. Although, I haven't had a problem running Cedega on my laptop with a ATI Radeon Mobility 9000.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Bah...

ATI's drivers are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be... At least not any more. With both my Radeon 9800 and X700, I'm able to run every native 3D linux game I can throw at my machines, including Doom3 and Quake4. The only games I have issues with are the ones I try to play with Cedega. Frankly, I'm a firm believer that Cedega is a buggy POS.

And, yes, God does indeed hate Cedega.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adamk
    Bah...

ATI's drivers are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be... At least not any more. With both my Radeon 9800 and X700, I'm able to run every native 3D linux game I can throw at my machines, including Doom3 and Quake4. The only games I have issues with are the ones I try to play with Cedega. Frankly, I'm a firm believer that Cedega is a buggy POS.

And, yes, God does indeed hate Cedega.

Adam
    Though I would like to believe your glowing report on the state of ATI's drivers, yours is still a minority opinion among the Linux gaming community, at least as far as I've come across. I'm glad you had good luck with the drivers, but let's just say I'm skeptical that this is the norm.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    well, with 4.4.3 i can play anygame i want on cedega and it works 90% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Though I would like to believe your glowing report on the state of ATI's drivers, yours is still a minority opinion among the Linux gaming community, at least as far as I've come across. I'm glad you had good luck with the drivers, but let's just say I'm skeptical that this is the norm.
    i can most assuredly back you up, this is not the norm.
    i would love to know how the hell you got 3d enabled with an ati card let alone did anything in 3d with it. it baffles just to ponder.....ati + linux in harmony, hell no, too weird a thought....
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Just Joined!

Question Cedega play disc

Well ive never had those problems with Cedega but i can't seem to get the play disc to work on any games y is that??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast