Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I've had my 15 gig iPod for about 1 year now. It is the best thing since sliced bread. No more cds to carry around, no more almost getting into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I've had my 15 gig iPod for about 1 year now. It is the best thing since sliced bread. No more cds to carry around, no more almost getting into car accidents while trying to change cds. Its fantastic. Anyways, if you have windows, just convert all your files to mp3 format. I don't know of any converters for linux because this is my 2nd day running Mandrake 10.0. BTW, no offense to the Zen owner, but they are in no way as good as the iPod. The menu system in the iPod is far better than the Zen. Dude, go ahead and get the iPod, you won't regret it. Also the iPod can double as a portable hard drive.

Linux Guru
    I don't have an iPod, but I do have a Creative Nomad Jukebox.

From my experience, don't by anything that requires drivers. So many players these days are considered mass media, why waste time? It's a real PITA to use something that requires drivers, on Windows or Linux. The other disadvantage is firmware. While there's support for the player, I still have to update the firmware through Windows. Noone wants to mess up there $200 piece of equipment and Creative isn't giving them up for people to experiement with.

Personally, if it doesn't support your music format now, it never will.

Just my 1 9/10 cents.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I've got the Creative nomad zen xtra 30gig model. Not only is it a better prouduct than the ipod, but I havn't been able to get it working with Red Hat 9.0. I'm considering using WINE to install the software, you may want to look into that as well.
    www.winehq.com

Just Joined!

my ipod is not recognized by linux mandrake 10.1

Hi, I begin with linux so I do not understand very well how it works. I tried to use my ipod on Mandrake 10.1. I downloaded and installed gtkpod but it does not detect any ipod connected to my computer. Moreover, when I go under /mnt, I do not see any ipod. Are there some people who can help me?

Re: my ipod is not recognized by linux mandrake 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by furty
    Hi, I begin with linux so I do not understand very well how it works. I tried to use my ipod on Mandrake 10.1. I downloaded and installed gtkpod but it does not detect any ipod connected to my computer. Moreover, when I go under /mnt, I do not see any ipod. Are there some people who can help me?
    I haven't used GTKPod, but SuSE has some basic iPod connectivity features in 9.3. You can plug it in and it pops up a file browser window with your music sorted by artist and playlist.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I bought my iPod 20 gig a few weeks ago and I love it, go and get one if you are not tight on money.

Never get a Creative player, I am warning you now. All Creative hd players fail, I have had countless people come up to me and ask me if I could fix their player for them - one just recently was one of those Zen Ultra Jukebox things, 30 gig it saddened me almost. I didn't want to have to solder anything to put in a new hd so I told him to go buy an iPod.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    I bought my iPod 20 gig a few weeks ago and I love it, go and get one if you are not tight on money.

Never get a Creative player, I am warning you now. All Creative hd players fail, I have had countless people come up to me and ask me if I could fix their player for them - one just recently was one of those Zen Ultra Jukebox things, 30 gig it saddened me almost. I didn't want to have to solder anything to put in a new hd so I told him to go buy an iPod.
    On a similar note, I've personally owned 2 iPods, and my family has collectively owned 5, various generations (2 third, one fourth, one mini, one shuffle) and we have yet to have a single solitary problem with any of them. I'm very happy with my investment.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I also have an iPod (3rd Gen, 10gig) and GTKpod likes it very much.

Pretty much any firewire card on newegg will work with Linux, most have the 2.4.x kernel in their supported OS section

Linux User
    I've got a 30gb iPod Photo.

I made the mistake of buying it locally, and was guilted/conned into buying the AppleCare (warranty) for it. So far, it looks like I won't be needing it. This iPod has been dropped, kicked, sat on, and generally had the crap beaten out of it, and it still runs and plays music perfectly.

Linux support for the iPod is sketchy, but I recently bought a Mac Mini to play with, so I've had no problems loading music onto it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2