Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm thinking about getting one, and I was wondering if someone could share their experiences with me concerning the Apple iPod. I'm also thinking about getting myself a fire wire ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

iPod?

I'm thinking about getting one, and I was wondering if someone could share their experiences with me concerning the Apple iPod.

I'm also thinking about getting myself a fire wire card, exclusively for the iPod so any tips on what I should get, and what I should avoid would be nice too

I've already come across GNUpod, which is a set of tool that will simplify the process of uploading music to your iPod, so it should give me a pretty good idea on that its supported.

And how does the iPod handle Ogg Vorbis files? Mainly, my music collection consists of wav and vorbis files.

Links to information would be nice too, I didn't find very much info on google.

Thanks, Kriss

ps. Thanks to sykkn for providing me with the basics

Linux Newbie
    Kriss,

I can't find anything that says that the iPod will play ogg files. However, that is one of the things that the ipodlinux ( that you told me about of course ) folks are working on.
    [ [ SykkN alloc ] initWithThePowerTo: destroyYouAll ];
    /* Don\'t make me use it! */

Linux Guru
    all i am aware of is that they are going to be selling a lot of them this christmas (though im not getting one )

Ok.. I thought that there might be some unofficial hack for it or something... But is it possible to install GNU/Linux and later on install the old firmware?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    all i am aware of is that they are going to be selling a lot of them this christmas (though im not getting one
    My ipod holds just about 40 gigs music and is amazinling the same size as some laptops
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    I've been wanting an ipod for a long time, am finally buying one this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I have just heard their are some issue's with the battery life between charges. I have only read this and don't know it for a fact.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    The battery issue was on the old generation ipods. Supposedly most of the new ones are much better. As for the ipod and linux, there are a couple of things you can look at.

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~geha/ipod/
    http://users.bwsys.net/~rednu/
    http://neuron.com/~jason/ipod.html

If you want linux ON your ipod, look no further than here.

Linux User
    Hey Kriss Dont get an Ipod! They WILL NOT play vorbis files not only that the whether or not a crack comes out at a later time for the Ipod is uncertain, Why get an Ipod when you can get a Jukebox Zen Xtra which not only has excellent battery life but also the ability to play almost any audio format and at the same time act as a mobile hardrive ?

Here the link:
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=2ZDJ

Linux User
    I got mine friday, works great with Linux. I followed the guide exactly and had no problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast