Find the answer to your Linux question:
My wife just asked me if it was possible to print out a list of the songs she has on her MP3 CDs. My first thought was to pull the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Easy way to get the titles of an MP3 CD in a text list form?

My wife just asked me if it was possible to print out a list of the songs she has on her MP3 CDs. My first thought was to pull the disc up in Konqueror and do a print out of the disc using "Info List" view mode. However, this feels like an ugly solution since I'd basically have to page down and re print the whole screen repeatedly for this to work, and then cut out the extra information that was printed.

I'm guessing someone on these boards has found a creative way to query a disc and pull out the id3 information from MP3s in the order the files are found on the disc. Or, perhaps there is software available that has this kind of capability. Ideally, I'd like to pull the data in table or plain text form, and then print it out from there.

Any suggestions? How do you do this for your own music CDs?

Linux Newbie
    Well, i have a program installed called id3info, which lists some info such as:

*** Tag information for 10 Dream Brother.mp3
    === APIC (Attached picture): ()[, 0]: image/jpg, 9668 bytes
    === NCON (): frame
    === TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Dream Brother
    === TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 10
    === TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Jeff Buckley
    === TCON (Content type): Rock/Pop
    === TLEN (Length): 326191
    === TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Grace
    *** mp3 info
    MPEG1/layer III
    Bitrate: 128KBps
    Frequency: 44KHz

I am sure if you played arround with that, or got a bit creative with the output you could achieve what you want.

to list all songs, just go to the directory and do id3info *

Might need to write a little script if you want anything too fancy!

Just Joined!
    Thanks! That sounds very promising! I haven't been able to find the "id3info" program you are describing. Could you point me to a page that has more information on it?

Just Joined!
    I just wanted to post back with the solution I ended up using. It isn't pretty but it beats my wife hand writing all of the songs (she was up to song 149 out of 180+ on the first of 4 CDs when I saw what she was doing). Since the file names are basically the name of the song, I put the CD in the drive and opened up a shell, and typed:
    Code:
    ls -1 -f
    I pasted the output it into Open Office Calc and created a column to count the track number in the list. Not as elegant as I was hoping for, but it did the trick!