Find the answer to your Linux question:
it looks to me to be a vaild replacement for itunes on linux (& win & mac). finally i have a valid replacement for itunes. amarok didnt cut the mustard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

anyone tried songbird?

it looks to me to be a vaild replacement for itunes on linux (& win & mac).

finally i have a valid replacement for itunes. amarok didnt cut the mustard for me, so it is a gift that i found songbird.

i know its still in the beta stages, but it looks & feels promising.

any thoughts?
    /weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Linux Engineer
    I saw some screenshots a few days ago, looks cool... Leave a comment about it if you try it

I'm gonna check it out now. REally Amarok didn't cut it for you? God damn that's my favourite media player ever!

Looks really promising. I like the iTunes look and would love for something like this to become successful. All I have to do now is wait for someone to write me a PKGBUILD (I am horrible at writing them)......

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Looks really promising. I like the iTunes look and would love for something like this to become successful. All I have to do now is wait for someone to write me a PKGBUILD (I am horrible at writing them)......

Bryan
    Sorry mate... I tried, but I couldn't figure out everything - there were no makefile or configure script, it was only over 800 files of C and some visualbasic scripts... So I guess I'll just listen to them:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.songbirdnest.com/development
    Build instructions for Songbird 0.1 Proof-of-Concept:
    Step 1. Don't.

It's tough to build Songbird 0.1.

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Sorry mate... I tried, but I couldn't figure out everything - there were no makefile or configure script, it was only over 800 files of C and some visualbasic scripts... So I guess I'll just listen to them:
    It's all good, thanks for trying though .

I had quite a good laugh reading that other quote you posted about building. I was going to try writing a PKGBUILD later in the week (really busy week coming up) but I may just hold off until development has come a little further.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    I'm gonna check it out now. REally Amarok didn't cut it for you? God damn that's my favourite media player ever!
    its too "heavy". it seems to have a ton of features, but the guys who created it seemed to focus on adding just about every feature possible, and not on the interface.

i find it quite cluttered. and where's the visualiser? also, i dont like the kde-type/look interface. as i dont like the kde-look, and the gnome-look players are too basic, i have been looking for a proper media player for a fair while.

i know that sonbird's still in the beta stage. but what feature would you like to see in it?
    personally i would like to see an eq and vis.

any thoughts?
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!
    hi everyone,

I am a linux newby and having some troubles when trying to compile/install songbird_20060921.

uncompressed in /usr/share/songbird trying to compile I get a message stating that "...the gstreamer-0.10 was not found in the pkg-config search path" and I should adjust the PKG_CONFIG_PATH env variable.

Now, if I try "yum info gstreamer" it tells me that version 0.10.4 is installed.
    Unfortunately the /usr/lib/pkgconfig does NOT contain the gstreamer-0.10.pc file and I dont know how to create it.

I tried to search for the file using fedora's 5 file search tool (ctrl+f) but it looks like I am not able to find anything.... even files i can see are on disk are not found by the search tool.... really frustrating....

anybody willing to help me locating this file and to complete the installation please?!?!?

thank you in advance,

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Amarok looks very polished, but when I install it the damn thing is always churning away in the background doing .... something. I'm renewing my love affair with XMMS and assorted plug-ins ... There's even an audio scrobbler plug-in.

In other words I want to like Amarok, but I think it's a bit intrusive and I think the developers have gone overboard with it.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Amarok runs slow for the first time while it builds you collection. It used to be a bit of a hog but it really isn't these days. Scanning is an absolute minimum of trouble now, it doesn't rebuild the collection constantly. If you haven't tried 1.4.x yet I can recommend it. It has the most functionality and best performance yet.