Find the answer to your Linux question:
i got Quake 4 and for some reason the DVD is refusing to mount. when i do mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom it says Code: mount: No medium found i've been told ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quake 4 DVD [FIXED]

i got Quake 4 and for some reason the DVD is refusing to mount. when i do mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom it says
    Code:
    mount: No medium found
    i've been told that there is the possibility that the DVD is a "hybrid" DVD with more than one filesystem potentially on the DVD. what i need to know is, how can i get this to work? would i need to update the firmware on the DVD drive?
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Have you tried *not* mounting it, and letting the installer do the work for you? You can download the latest install script here:

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

that was fast! i'll give it a shot, thx for the info. seems a bit weird though.

EDIT: ok, it doesn't work. the install script only installs the binaries for running the game. i still need to copy the files off the DVD which doesn't mount.
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Try it with the "unhide" option:
    Code:
    mount -o unhide,norock /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    (The "norock" option is recommended by id to turn off Rock Ridge extensions.)
    Also, make sure /dev/cdrom is linked to the appropriate drive.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    Try it with the "unhide" option:
    Code:
    mount -o unhide,norock /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    (The "norock" option is recommended by id to turn off Rock Ridge extensions.)
    Also, make sure /dev/cdrom is linked to the appropriate drive.
    hmm... it doesn't seem to have any effect
    same error message. i know that /dev/cdrom is linked to the correct drive because i only have one DVD drive and everything else works just fine. it's just this one DVD. i'll have the chance to try it in windows on my dad's computer to see if it's a problem with the DVD. i think that a firmware update maybe necessary. :/

ok, i finally tried to mount it on my laptop and it worked! my DVD drive must be out of date. maybe a firmware update will work.

ok, i copied the files from the DVD to my laptop then to my desktop PC with a USB stick. it works, but now i've got no sound. i emerged openal but i get this output when i load quake4 and still no sound :/

Code:
    Initializing SDL subsystem
    Loading GL driver 'libGL.so.1' through SDL
    8/8/8/8 RGBA bits, 24 depth bits, 8 stencil bits
    dlopen(libasound.so.2)
    asoundlib version: 1.0.10
    Alsa is available
    ------ Alsa Sound Initialization -----
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:672:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1072:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib conf.c:3962:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    snd_pcm_open SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK 'default' failed: No such device
    dlclose
    WARNING: sound subsystem disabled
    EDIT: ok, i checked and alsa doesn't seem to be working at all. i'll need to use OSS instead.

EDIT 2: right, OSS doesn't work either. it tries to output on 44.8khz instead of the necessary 44.1khz. how do i go about changing this?

FINAL EDIT: i compiled the latest gentoo kernel and fixed the ALSA support. switched quake 4 back onto alsa and now it all works fine ^_^