Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, So, I went to http://icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php . Most files on this page are installers, are the games listed for windows and you just use these installers to make them work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help, Gaming question......

Ok, So, I went to http://icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php. Most files on this page are installers, are the games listed for windows and you just use these installers to make them work with Linux?? I havn't heard of alot of these games at all. Any good freeware games out there??

The Linux Game Tome is stuffed full of free games. Most of it is not commercial-quality software, but there are a few real gems. For instance, check out Legends if you're into shooters.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux Enthusiast
    I would think that googling would find tonnes

But there is tuxgames, and pygame, they are good.

Just Joined!
    Well, I downloaded wine and tried to install Return to Castle Wolfenstein. All goes well for the first CD, then it asks me to load the next one........CD drive won't open. So, I go to the desktop and right click the cd drive, click eject.......it opens. I pop in CD 2 and then I get an error saying it failed to read some DLL file from the CD. Not sure what's going on here.

For Wolfenstein, you'll want to install the native Linux client rather than run it through wine.

Just Joined!
    ummmmmmmm, I see no native client on that page. What are the patches for??

Several of the patches have both a Full and Upgrade link. Pick the highest-number Full link on the page (currently 1.33) and it will give you an installer for the game launcher, plus all the updates up to 1.33. From there you can apply upgrade patches if you plan to play online.

After you run the installer, you'll need to copy your pak0.pk3 from the CD to your /usr/local/games/wolfenstein/main directory. Then just run wolfsp for single-player or wolfmp for multiplayer (both in the /usr/local/games/wolfenstein directory). Better yet, add menu and/or desktop shortcuts using the icons supplied with the installer.

Just Joined!
    I get an error message "doesnt support dlib 2.1 on x86 64" So, I guess that won't work.

From what I can gather, SuSE includes both 64- and 32-bit libraries and is able to run 32-bit programs as well as 64-bit ones. It sounds like maybe the right libraries aren't being used to run the installer. Check out SuSE's documentation to see if there's a way to force an application to use the 32-bit libraries.

I would recommend Cedega for games instead of just WINE. It is based on WINE but allows a lot of OpenGL support and stuff like that. My mom plays The Sims 2 with it and it runs great for her! Try it and see how you like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast