Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm using fedora core4(64bit)...i'm having a creative 5.1 speakers..my problem is wen i play music only 2 of the speakers work!!! i changed the channnel mode to 6 channel in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy 6 channel output doesnt works!!!!

i'm using fedora core4(64bit)...i'm having a creative 5.1 speakers..my problem is wen i play music only 2 of the speakers work!!! i changed the channnel mode to 6 channel in alsamixer....but tht doesnt work!!! how to proceed?????help me......

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by binilbenjamin
    i'm using fedora core4(64bit)...i'm having a creative 5.1 speakers..my problem is wen i play music only 2 of the speakers work!!! i changed the channnel mode to 6 channel in alsamixer....but tht doesnt work!!! how to proceed?????help me......
    You need to edit your alsa configuration so that the audio device includes the surround sound identifier.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/SurroundSound

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that link Justin. I have been trying to figure that out for 6 months. I have Inspire 5800 speakers and I could only get sound out of three of them. Though I have to say that they still sound better in Linux with three speakers working than in windows with all of them working.

Just Joined!

Red face 6 channels doesn't work Reply

The problem is the music files you are playing is usually 2 channel files thus sound only comes from 2 of the speakers while the others are only getting no signal or silence.

If you want the full 5.1 sound from a music file you must create a 5.1 multichannel song file and you will get the full surround sound experience.

since practically all songs are stereo only you need a 5.1 sound editor such as Adobe Audition and use the Multichannel Encoder.

First use the Graphic Equalizer to seperate the longhairedboys and the instruments into mono tracks of their own, then place them in your desired places in the sound field then export the file as a multichannel wave or wma.

after that it will seem like you're on the stage with the band.