Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was just wondering how does linux compare to xp in gaming??? Does it run much more smooth and quicker??? Is all gaming compatable?? What is the best linux o/s ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xp VS Linux gaming???

I was just wondering how does linux compare to xp in gaming???
    Does it run much more smooth and quicker???
    Is all gaming compatable??
    What is the best linux o/s for gaming???

My Specs:
    CPU:775 Intel 3.2GHz
    M/B:Asus P5AD2
    Sound:Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    Video:Leadtek 6800Ultra 256MB Pci express
    etc...
    What linux will best suit???

They don't compare at all!! Windows does games well because if you go to a gaming shop and buy a game it's for windows. It might also be for another OS but everything under the sun is for windows first other OSes later or not at all.

Some commercial games are for linux but this is ether because the company was kind enough to release the source code the engine (ID software) or someone ported it to linux and sells it (tux games) or it's emulated (trans-gaming)

Just Joined!
    Hmm so basically for gaming.. xp is the better option..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, it DOES depend.

I personally play only a few games, all of whcih are runnable in Linux. Neverwinter Nights runs natively (Bioware has released a Linux version), and World of Warcraft and Nexus TK are both emulated using WINE.

I have also played Starcraft and Warcraft III successfully using Cedega.

There are also tons of games (usually based on a preexisting game) that are out for Linux. Check out:

http://www.happypenguin.org

So while Windows is infinitely better in game availability, it is possible to run many through emulation, or a similar game, in Linux.

Finding mature games that run natively in linux and are free is hard there are only a few
    the hundred and fifty million first person shooters don't count

For games that are made for Linux, they run about as well as they do in Windows (assuming they're also made for Windows, otherwise Windows doesn't run them at all).
    For games that are only made for Windows, most of them run almost as well in Linux using Wine.

Windows has the advantage of complete support from both the software and hardware industries.
    Linux has the advantave of being able to run a lot of games that weren't made for Linux, in addition to all of the native Linux games.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny.C
    I was just wondering how does linux compare to xp in gaming???
    Does it run much more smooth and quicker???
    Is all gaming compatable??
    What is the best linux o/s for gaming???

My Specs:
    CPU:775 Intel 3.2GHz
    M/B:Asus P5AD2
    Sound:Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    Video:Leadtek 6800Ultra 256MB Pci express
    etc...
    What linux will best suit???
    Q&A
    1.How does linux compare to XP in gaming?
    Windows has more exclusive games because it is more popular as a home desktop, but some of these games can be ported over to the Linux platform.

2.Does it run much more smooth and quicker?
    This depends on how much space Windows takes up. Usually it takes up more space than most Linux distro's which can cause your hard drive to slow down and may take up alot of ram because of it's habit of running programs automatically.

3.Is all gaming compatable??
    No. Games are usually designed with a specific platform in mind because not only would it be alot of work to make it multi platform but it would also take up alot of space.

4.What is the best linux o/s for gaming?
    It depends on what you are looking for in gaming. Do you want to play windows games on Linux or do you want to play Linux games?

5.What linux will best suit?
    Try "Morphix". It is a Live CD disto of Linux designed specifically for gaming. And because it is a Live CD you won't have to install it on you're hard drive. Just set you're computer to boot from the cd rom drive and insert the cd.

Honestly, I think in terms of the original question, the answer is that XP is the platform for games. They *aren't* compatible with Linux, the vast majority of them. Even some of the old diehards have stopped porting. I see no shame in that. When I play, I fire up Windows. When I have a real job to do - Linux!

DT

I agree with DThor, and as I see there's really not much else to add to this discussion that hasn't been said already, I'm locking it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants