I'm attempting to get ardour to work and have several questions. Here's what I've done.
I downloaded and installed ardour-0.9-0.beta10.2.1mdk and jackit 0.98.1-1mdk and qjackcti Version 0.2.15a using urpmui. Install seemed to go ok and icons for both ardour and qjackcti were placed in my KDE menu. alsa-utils-1.0.6.2mdk is loaded and my soundcard uses snd-au8830 (I have sound in other apps) so I think alsa is working as it should. When I start qjackcti I get the following errors in the log:
18:24:14:223 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. MIDI patchbay will not be available.
18:29:08.109 could not connect to JACK server as a client.
Error: Could not connect to JACK server as a client.
I found The Mandrake Audio Workstation HowTo (http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8018846552.html) It directed “If you run KDE ... # urpmi kickarts.” This installed kickarts-0.4-5mdk.i586.rpm and kickarts-0.4-5mdk is listed as removable in the Control Center. arts-1.2.3-9mdk is also listed as removable – so it is there too. However, there are no start menu icons for either The HOWTO directs “Reboot into the multimedia kernel (it will have the suffix “mm”)” and “If you're using KDE, add kickarts to your kicker panel, and disable arts with it.”
I need help with how to reboot into the multimedia kernel. When I boot, I do not see this as a choice and so am at a loss as to how to go about this.
Also, I looked at removal of arts using the Control Center and found that if I remove it, many applications that I use will no longer have dependencies satisfied and (I assume) will not work properly. Perhaps I am headed in the wrong direction with this. I read that kickarts is an applet for controlling artsd which is not list in my Control Center. Can this be part of the problem?
Thanks for any light that you can shed on this.
gp
Software: Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586, KDE 3.2, Opera 8.51 Kernel Info: 2.6.8.1-12mdk #1 Fri Oct 1 12:53:41 CEST 2004 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) unknown GNU/Linux
Hardware: Compaq Deskpro EN;CPU P III 866; HDD Maxtor 20GB partitioned 50% fat32 (hda1) and 50% ext (including swap and home); Sound card: Voyetra TurtleBeach Montego II.(au8830 Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 2 (rev fa)); Monitor: NEC MultiSync95; Modem: USR Sportster 005686-03 FaxModem