Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a linux newbee and would really like to install Starcraft on my Ubuntu box. I have installed wine, so now I run most windows applications. Okay, so I put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool Starcraft

I'm a linux newbee and would really like to install Starcraft on my Ubuntu box. I have installed wine, so now I run most windows applications.
    Okay, so I put in the starcraft cd in and run it with wine. I can see the setup window so I click install. I put in the information and got to the window where it asks to what directory install starcraft. It says the c drive, but linux only has a z drive. I tryed to install it there, but it didn't work, so I tryed it on the Z drive. And it didn't work. So what I did is I copied all of the cd files to my home directory. I ran the setup from there and it installed just fine. When i want to play the game it says there's an error and it won't start.
    I don't know what else to do know. I tryed googleing my problem, but I didn't find any good help. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

also, what is the cd-rom's location? is it the D drive or C or A or what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by SamTheMan
    check out:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Quote Originally Posted by SamTheMan
    To further explain what muha mentioned, Linux and UNIX do not use drive letters to map drives. Instead they use device names. The first IDE device hooked up to your motherboard (which could be a CDROM or a Harddrive) is /dev/hda, the second is /dev/hdb and so on. You can find out which is your CDROM by looking at your /etc/fstab file as suggested above.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm using ubuntu, the location of the cd rom drive is in the media folder, I know where it is already.
    i also installed starcraft but can't run it becuarse it says that the cd rom is not in

Linux Engineer
    Just hop on limewire and grab a no-cd crack.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    Just hop on limewire and grab a no-cd crack.
    You shouldnt be discussing that here, pm stuff like that (boot-legging/cracking games is illegal)

hai
    Just Joined!
    you install fedora core 5 it auto mount usb and cd drive for you it easy to use

no need for a crack you need to make a symbolic link to your cd drive in your dosdivices folder in ~/.wine

i did mine like this

ln -s /media/cdrecorder/ /home/Pupdaleon/.wine/dosdevices/d:

the link is named d: because wine fakes the drive letters it should work just fine