Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi... I've been trying to figure out how to use mencoder to encode videos so that I can burn them and watch them on my DVD player. I can turn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mencoder encoding for DVDs

Hi... I've been trying to figure out how to use mencoder to encode videos so that I can burn them and watch them on my DVD player. I can turn them into .AVI's , but they don't work on the DVD player. I've tried changing a lot fo things, but the problem is I'm not very good at understanding almost all of the things I read about the coding. I was wondering if someone could explain or show me what to do. Or if someone could point me to a site that explains thing in a way that people like me, who aren't really smart enough to understand this stuff, can understand.

The original coding I used was this:

mencoder movie.wmv -o movie.avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc

I've added and changed different things in this code to try and make it work, I've been trying to figure it out for days, and I just don't understand it....help?

this is the command I use to convert avi to mpeg I think it should work with wmv.

Code:
    mencoder /home/bob/test.avi -of mpeg -vf scale=720:480,harddup -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:vcodec=mpeg2video:keyint=25:vbitrate=5000:aspect=4/3 -mpegopts format=dvd -srate 48000 -ofps 30000/1001 -o /home/bob/tv1.mpg
    You then need to use a program to create the dvd structure. I would suggest dvdstyler because it is a gui program which utilized dvdauthor to help you create a nice little menu for your new dvd and will also create proper dvd structure. Then you need to burn. I would use k3b for this.

here is link for dvdstyler
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Thankyou for that, it almost worked....it worked fine on mplayer, so I burned it, but there was no sound. It did fix the video though. I'm going to try to play around with it a bit more but so far I'm not having any success. Does it matter if I just burned it without using dvdstyler yet? I just wanted to make sure it was going to work first. So if anyone knows how I could make the sound work I'd much appreciate it!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I do believe it does matter if you want the dvd to play in a stand alone dvd player. You need to use dvdstyler to create the proper dvd structure so a stand alone dvd player will recognize it correctly as a dvd.

as far as sound. Do you get sound when you play the coverted mpg in mplayer? If not then you might need ac3 support for your player, not sure though.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Ah, that figures lol, I got a little too anxious. Thankyou very much, I will do that. There is sound on mplayer, it was just in the DVD player that it didn't work.

It works! Thanks very much! I just had to take out the acodec, it didn't want to work that way. Incase anyone else is having problems this is what I used:

mencoder file.avi -of mpeg -vf scale=720:480,harddup -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:keyint=25:vbitrate=5000:aspect=4/3 -mpegopts format=dvd -srate 48000 -ofps 30000/1001 -o file.mpg

I very much appreciate your help spencerf!

no problem glad I could be of assistance. I actually just found this cool program called kencoder which is frontend to mencoder to be used with kd3 or at least with kde libraries. Here is a link to the homepage the current version is beta but makes converting different formats easier with a gui.

thanks, I'll have to check that out.

I've run into one more issue with converting for a DVD...I just recently did a widescreen video, I set the aspect to 16/9 but when I play it on the dvd player it's still fullscreen and looks stretched...any ideas how to fix that?

what's the exact command that you used?

mencoder HackSign-28.rmvb -of mpeg -vf scale=704:304,harddup -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:keyint=25:vbitrate=5000:aspect=1 6/9 -mpegopts format=dvd -srate 48000 -ofps 30000/1001 -o hack28.mpg

If I kept the scale at 720:480, would that make a difference? I just thought of that, although I thought the first time I did it that I had left it that way, but apparently not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast