Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i am using mplayer but i am unable to watch .wmv files i just listen the audio track, i'm sure i have the codecs in /usr/lib/win32 but in the console ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    zyd
    Just Joined!

cannot wathch .wmv

i am using mplayer but i am unable to watch .wmv files i just listen the audio track, i'm sure i have the codecs in /usr/lib/win32 but in the console the program says:

Requested video family [wmv9dmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
    Enable it at compilation

any help?

What distro are you using?

That error message would say to me that you would need to enable something like asf support when you were compiling it. That would also lead me to believe that you may be using a source-based distro. If you are using something like fedora, it may a bit more complecated to get wmv support working.

~weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

zyd
    Just Joined!
    indeed i am using fedora. why it would be more complicated to get this done in fedora? what is a source based distro?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you stated you were sure you had the codecs do you have these codecs ?
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

zyd
    Just Joined!
    yes those codecs are the one i'm using

Wmv works for me, although I try to avoid it as much as possible. I got it working by first grabbing all (the codecs package) and putting that in /usr/lib/mplayer/codecs, then grabbing the windows all package, and untarring that to the same directory, this did the trick.

Just Joined!
    try to use kaffeine, that is a good player

Quote Originally Posted by salem
    try to use kaffeine, that is a good player
    the player is actually not that important it's the codecs which determine whether whatever player you choose can actually play the selected video types.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Hi there...
    I'm a new to linix so...
    Yestardey I installed mandriva 2006 powerpack. The first time I run kaffeine it said something about win32 but I didn't put attention to it. Today I tried to play *.wmv file. I hear only audio with no video. I downloaded the "essential-20060611.tar.bz2" and copied the files to /usr/lib/ein32.. But I still can't see video.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks

hi rakavka !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rakavka
    I downloaded the "essential-20060611.tar.bz2" and copied the files to /usr/lib/ein32..
    did you extract "tar" file?
    Code:
    tar xzvf <file>

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast