Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Half Life dedicated server running in Mandrake 9.1. I am able to configure it fine ecept some of the configuration files (server.cfg, autoexec.cfg) and other misc. configuration ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gaining access to specific system directories

I have a Half Life dedicated server running in Mandrake 9.1. I am able to configure it fine ecept some of the configuration files (server.cfg, autoexec.cfg) and other misc. configuration files (adminmod.cfg, users.ini) are in protected system directories. I have enabled myself to have read only access to these protected files but it would be much more convenient if I could enable read and write capabilities to this specific directory: /usr/steam/hlds_l. I don't need or want write access to any other system files. Is there a way to set this up?

(Just to clarify, I want to be able to write to that specific directory while not logged in as the root user.)

Just Joined!
    After alot of searching I found an answer to my question. I would need to use the chown command to change ownership of the /usr/steam directory to me so that I had read/write access. I decided not to do this however for fear of my dedicated server suddenly not working. Instead I am now relying on a method that should have been obvious in the first place. In the terminal I move to the directory where the file I want to modify is located and then switch to the root user (su). By opening the file (which is plain text) in emacs (a text editor) I can have read/write access without taking the risks of logging in as the root user directly (from the login screen).