Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed UT (not 2003 or 2004, but the first one) using the CD and downloaded installer "unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.run". Installation went fine, but when I try to run it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unreal Tournament crashes on startup

Hi, I just installed UT (not 2003 or 2004, but the first one) using the CD and downloaded installer "unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.run".
    Installation went fine, but when I try to run it by typing "ut" I get:

Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
    Aborting.
    /usr/local/bin/ut: line 75: 15366 Segmentation fault ./$GAME_BINARY "$CMD_A RGS" "$@"

and that's it
    No splash screen, nothing. This is right on the console.
    I added an echo command to the "ut" script to find out that $GAME_BINARY is indeed "ut-bin" while commandline args and $@ are both empty...as I guess it should be. So I have no idea why I get a segfault.

System: SUSE 10, Kernel 2.6..., ATI Radeon9500 with ATI's linux drivers, KDE 3.4. Also interesting: Doom 3 runs 100% fine, with sound and accelerated gfx and everything.

Try installing the latest patch for the Linux client off the Unreal Tournament site:

http://www.unrealtournament.com
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hmm sorry in advance in case of me being blind, but on that page I only see UT 2003, UT 2004 and UT GOTY (game of the year edition). I don't have any of those, but the normal UT (1-cd-standard-edition).

Also it appears that the latest patch for the GOTY (Game of the year edition, 2 cds I think?) given on that official website is 4.36, which is exactly the version of my install script, at least the filename, as mentioned in my first posting, contains '436', so I assume my installed version already is 4.36, the latest one?
    The readme and readme.loki which were actually installed into /usr/local/games/ut both speak of '4.36'.

Also, I tried to manually edit the UnrealTournament.ini file to change all three
    "GameRenderDevice=","WindowedRenderDevice=","Rende rDevice=" from
    OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice (my install choice) to
    SDLGLDrv.SDLGLRenderDevice, then to
    SDLDrv.SDLClient and last to
    SDLSoftDrv.SDLSoftwareRenderDevice, but still no change.
    I used '#' chars to comment out the lines, I hope that was the right way and UT acknowledges # for commentaries?
    (btw the forum inserts a space between Rende and rDevice, no idea why, my original text doesn't have a space there!)

Just Joined!
    Isn't there anybody who has solved this problem? It appears to be a quite ridiculous problem to me, although I have no clue what causes it. But my system is in no way special, and this game is ancient. There must surely be any way to fix this? oO please..

Sorry, this is beyond my experience. I had the 2CD Game of the Year edition.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I found another installer, ut-install-436.run, appearently the "original" installer, while multilanguage.. was modified.

Now I get this when starting:

Unreal engine initialized
    Bound to SDLDrv.so
    Joystick [0] : Unknown Joystick
    SDLClient initialized.
    Bound to Render.so
    Lighting subsystem initialized
    Rendering initialized
    LoadMap: Entry
    Bound to Fire.so
    Case-insensitive search: Botpack -> ..\System\BotPack.u
    Bound to IpDrv.so
    Game class is 'UTIntro'
    Level is Level Entry.MyLevel
    Bringing Level Entry.MyLevel up for play (0)...
    InitGame:
    Base Mutator is Entry.Mutator0
    Browse: CityIntro.unr?Name=Player?Class=Botpack.TMale2?tea m=255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Oth ello
    LoadMap: CityIntro.unr?Name=Player?Class=Botpack.TMale2?tea m=255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Oth ello
    Failed to load 'city': Can't find file for package 'city'
    Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
    Aborting.
    Exiting.
    Name subsystem shut down
    Allocation checking disabled
    Segmentation fault

Anyone have an idea maybe? Or is my Suse 10.1 (I had 10.0 before, formatted and installed 10.1 since 10.0 had so many problems and wasted tens of hours of my spare time to get things working..) just disfunctional?

Quote Originally Posted by MKarall
    Anyone have an idea maybe? Or is my Suse 10.1 (I had 10.0 before, formatted and installed 10.1 since 10.0 had so many problems and wasted tens of hours of my spare time to get things working..) just disfunctional?
    I have no idea, but it's possible since the original UT is so old, that the installer doesn't like the new kernel with SuSE 10.1. A lot of commercial installers use the Loki Games installer, which in its original unmodified form doesn't like 2.6.x kernels. Is the original UT really that important to you? You could easily pick up a copy of UT2003/2004 for under $20USD these days, or even a copy of the 2CD Game of the Year original UT.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants