Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all- I'm trying to set up a basic Linux Audio Workstation. I'd like to do MIDI sequencing and audio recording. I've got a bunch of external audio devices, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Audio Workstation?

Hello all-

I'm trying to set up a basic Linux Audio Workstation. I'd like to do MIDI sequencing and audio recording. I've got a bunch of external audio devices, and I'd like to use softsynths.

At the moment I'm using Fedora Core 4, with much of Planet CCRMA installed. It's very unstable. The system will often lock up when I close Rosegarden, and MIDI in/out does not work (serial port). I've had good luck with FC4 for my laptop, but I don't think it's working well as an audio workstation.

Two questions:

- Can anyone recommend a working distro for creating a LAW? For instance, realtime kernels or other distros that have proven reliability working with JACK and other audio tools? I don't need to do anything with this computer other than audio work.

- Are there any pointers to debugging MIDI through a serial port on Linux? The MIDI howto didn't really get into troubleshooting.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions!

-Thomas

Linux Guru
    I'm not really qualified to answer your questions, but I have used Agnula as a sound mixing platform. They have discontiuned support for their rpm version but the debian based platform is quite good. I would certainly recommend it. It is full preconfigured and is live (though I think it can be installed).