Find the answer to your Linux question:
My church is currently considering recoring our sunday sermons and making them available as mp3s. I was just wondering if, instead of buying a digital sound recorder, it would be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Dedicated PC for recording

My church is currently considering recoring our sunday sermons and making them available as mp3s. I was just wondering if, instead of buying a digital sound recorder, it would be feasable to use a PC with a minimum installation. What I had in mind was:
    - A Linux from Scratch (or something light)
    - No gui or maybe just a small window manager, but I don't see why everything can't be done from the command prompt. You know the keyboards that have play, stop etc buttons...? Can they work on a command line for recording?
    - Only audio recording and cd burning tools and;
    - Perhaps in the future, a server for sharing over the internet (something the digital audio recorder can't do, that I am aware of).
    In your opinions, what would be the minimum hardware requirements for such a system and more importantly can it be done. The sermons are usually 30-45 min long and maybe some special services would be recorded, which would be over an hour in length.

Linux User
    what are you asking, you seem to have it all figured out

Linux Newbie
    OK, I'll ask this: has anyone done something like this, how did it work out, and is it cheaper than its alternatives.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've tried setting up my Linux computer for recording, but found that lots of recording HARDWARE didn't offer Linux drivers, which is sad. M-Audio is one of the companies whose software I use, and on their driver site, I didn't find any Linux drivers (at least for the hardware I was using).