Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by spencerf just so so you know the "best" method for unmasking keywords for a package... <snip> I didn't know about the tilde notation, but I'm well aware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    just so so you know the "best" method for unmasking keywords for a package... <snip>
    I didn't know about the tilde notation, but I'm well aware of the ramifications of using specific version selection. I prefer it that way. *shrug*

Personal preference is what it's all about, innit?

But thanks for the heads up on the ~

yeah I know it's about preference that's why I put "best" in quotes because I coulnd't really come up with a better term. That's the beauty of gentoo is it is about choice. Hopefully I just presented two other choices. I wasn't trying to be preachy or anything
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Taking away the '=' sign will unmask all of the unstable versions of that package. Sometimes that's not practical.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

well using the ~ will actually only unmask the specific version you specified and any subsequent revisions and other release candidates etc... Many of these minor releases or for specific bug fixes and usually and good to install. But you are right if you know for sure that one specific package is what you are looking for and thats all you want then the "=" sign is for you.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Hey, thanks.

I just realised that that is what you meant with the '~' sign. Thanks, I didn't know about that.

Cool.

~weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3