Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, Following problem: My Linux box hasn't got a DVD drive, but I want to install UT 2004 which I only own on DVD. So I copied the DVD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing UT 2004 "without" CDs/DVD

Hello everyone,

Following problem: My Linux box hasn't got a DVD drive, but I want to install UT 2004 which I only own on DVD. So I copied the DVD via network on my Linux box. Then I ran the installer. Works fine so far, but then the installer wants CD 1. I tried to use "export SETUP_CDROM=/tmp/ut2k4/CD1" (the path where the UT stuff is located), but the installer doesn't swallows that
    Now I thought of using nfs between my Linux box and my Mac OS X box to get it working, but that sounds like a lot of work. Can anyone think of another way? (except burning all the CD folders fromthe DVD on CD)

regards
    jam...

System: Slackware 10.2

I assume you're using the installer on the DVD. Have you tried using another installer, such as this one from Loki Installers for Linux Gamers?

http://www.liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=17
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks for the fast reply.
    yes, I used the "official" installer from the dvd.

I can't find an installer for ut 2004 on the loki page. there's just the megapack and I assume this doesn't installs ut.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by sulley
    thanks for the fast reply.
    yes, I used the "official" installer from the dvd.

I can't find an installer for ut 2004 on the loki page. there's just the megapack and I assume this doesn't installs ut.
    Note this statement at the top of the page I linked you to:
    The Megapack should now be the only update installer you need for UT2004, as it replaces the existing updates and the Editors Choice Edition (ECE) installer.
    I've not actually tried it myself (since I don't have UT2004, only 2003), but it's worth a shot, certainly.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Mmm... I interpreted that statement as "if-you-want-to-upgrade-don't-use-a-seperate-update-because-it's-included-in the-megapack-anyway"

but i'll give it a try

Just Joined!
    allright. the megapack didn't solve the installing problem, means I couldn't install it via the megapack. it's just an update which requires an installed ut.

but I solved the problem with help from the megapack. I extracted the megapack (which contains ut2004-bin and ucc-bin) and took the ut data (textures, maps, meshes...) from another computer where ut 2004 was installed. then I combined the extracted stuff from the megapack and the ut data... and well, after some other minor problems it worked ^___^

Well, I'm glad to hear you got it working, even if you had to do some creative hacking. Enjoy.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants