Find the answer to your Linux question:
Lo there, My OS is SimplyMEPIS 3.4-3 with KDE 3.5.2 I'm using KAudioCreator to create Oggs out of my Audio CD's. Now the thang is when I change the quality ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ogg quality (KAudioCreator)

Lo there,

My OS is SimplyMEPIS 3.4-3 with KDE 3.5.2

I'm using KAudioCreator to create Oggs out of my Audio CD's. Now the thang is when I change the quality of the Ogg encoder in the control center KAudioCreator doesn't seem to notice that. Whatever I set the quality to, the file size of the output file is the same.

How can I set the output quality to, let's say -q9?

Tried restarting KAudioCreator and Mepis too.

Thanks.

well I've never used that program but you could try one of two things if you want:

1) try the program soundKoverter which I have found to be nice frontend for audio conversion.

2) you could encode from the command line

Code:
    oggenc -q 8 *.wav
    this will take all wav files in certain directory a convert them with their original names to .ogg files with quality 8 [out of 10]

for more info on this method type

oggenc -h
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    K, found the solution.

In KAudioCreator, go to "Settings>Configure KAudioCreator..." tab "Encoder". Add a new encoder or configure an existing one. To set the output quality to 9 (which is about 320 kb/ps), add "-q 9" to the command line. So you'll get something like this:
    Code:
    oggenc -o %o -q 9 --artist %{artist} --album %{albumtitle} --title %{title} --date %{year} --tracknum %{number} --genre %{genre} %f
    An other example, this will output quality 4 (about 128 kb/ps):
    Code:
    oggenc -o %o -q 4 --artist %{artist} --album %{albumtitle} --title %{title} --date %{year} --tracknum %{number} --genre %{genre} %f
    Or you can set the quality to 128 kb/ps VBR, using this:
    Code:
    oggenc -o %o -b 128 --artist %{artist} --album %{albumtitle} --title %{title} --date %{year} --tracknum %{number} --genre %{genre} %f
    More options that you can set from that command line can be found here.