Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux and decided to install Aliens Vs Predator 2 since I always played it on Winsodws. I know that it is possible to play the game on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How do I install games?

I'm new to Linux and decided to install Aliens Vs Predator 2 since I always played it on Winsodws. I know that it is possible to play the game on Linux because theres a Linux dedicated server to download after you install the game. My question is how do I install the game when the setup file is .exe (windows executable)? Do you use the terminal? I'm not very good with it yet.

Thanks,
    ~Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck8
    I'm new to Linux and decided to install Aliens Vs Predator 2 since I always played it on Winsodws. I know that it is possible to play the game on Linux because theres a Linux dedicated server to download after you install the game. My question is how do I install the game when the setup file is .exe (windows executable)? Do you use the terminal? I'm not very good with it yet.

Thanks,
    ~Aaron
    EXE files are for MS Windows machines. The only way to run them is through some sort of emulator (Win4Lin, VMware) or through a proxy program (WINE, Cedega, Crossover Office).

Also, just because there's a Linux dedicated server doesn't mean there's a Linux client that you can actually play. Some companies just like to whore out Linux boxes to host their Windows games and not give anything back (such as Valve). To the best of my knowledge there is no Linux client for AvP 2, only a dedicated server. The only way you'd be able to install it is using one of the programs I mentioned earlier.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I can't figure out how to use wine. I went here http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=79444 downloaded the first package but can't figure out how to do anything from there.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There's a lot of documentation on WineHQ.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I can't thank you enough Moe, you're always helping me out you handy person you.
    Also, does Wine only allow certain programs to be emulated? (eg. msn messenger and Morpheus P2P won't install)

Some programs work very well with wine, some not so well, and some don't work at all. Usually (as in the two programs you mentioned) there are excellent Linux alternatives. For MSN, check out the program called GAIM (it supports MSN, jabber, yahoo! messenger, AIM, IRC and a couple others I can't remember). As for P2P programs, I've never heard of Morpheus, if it's a torrent app, you could try Azureus (there's a linux version), if you need something like eMule, look for aMule (I think there's also some other 'mule' program). Type 'linux p2p application' into google and you should find some more

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Some programs work very well with wine, some not so well, and some don't work at all. Usually (as in the two programs you mentioned) there are excellent Linux alternatives. For MSN, check out the program called GAIM (it supports MSN, jabber, yahoo! messenger, AIM, IRC and a couple others I can't remember). As for P2P programs, I've never heard of Morpheus, if it's a torrent app, you could try Azureus (there's a linux version), if you need something like eMule, look for aMule (I think there's also some other 'mule' program). Type 'linux p2p application' into google and you should find some more
    Much Thanks M8!

Linux Newbie
    If you want more advance features that MSN for Windows has like web cam support or smiles check out mercury.

http://www.mercury.to/