Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, I am runnign Slack 9.1 on my Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ630. I am having some problems with the sound. 1) In GNOME I can use the ALSA plugin in xmms ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound getting blocked

hi,
    I am runnign Slack 9.1 on my Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ630. I am having some problems with the sound.
    1) In GNOME I can use the ALSA plugin in xmms only if I login as root. But even then the sound is all scratchy and gets struck up regularly. Do I need to change the permissions on '/dev/dsp' or '/dev/mixer' so that any normal user can use it.
    2) In KDE the USB mouse is blocking the sound. The startup sound is blocked until I move the mouse. I have to keep on moving the mouse till the entire startup bit is over.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you

Linux Engineer
    You *could* change the perms, but the easiest (and better) way to allow users access to the soundcard is to add them to the 'audio' group (w/o quotes, of course). that way the perms stay how they are intended to be and you *should* be able to use the soundcard as a regular user. let us know if that doesn't fix it.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    hi,
    thanks for the help. I tried doing what you said but it doesn't work. I created a group called audio and added myself as a regular user to it. Even then the problem of permission is coming in ALSA. But there is something strange happening. When I select the OSS output plugin, the sound works fine but only plays when I moves my mouse . I think there is something that is causing the sound to block on the input from the mouse. any suggestions?
    Thank you

Linux Engineer
    I wonder, what is the group in /dev/dsp?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    That with the mouse was really weird... have you checked if OSS or ALSA works with any programs other than XMMS?

Just Joined!
    hi,

I'm sorry I did not understand what this means.

That with the mouse was really weird... have you checked if OSS or ALSA works with any programs other than XMMS?
    I have tried using xine in gnome, but the same problem. The sound plays only when I move my mouse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by euphoria22
    hi,

I'm sorry I did not understand what this means.
    Code:
    ls -al /dev | grep dsp
    Post the output of that here.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    bash-2.05b$ ls -al /dev | grep dsp
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Feb 5 13:25 adsp -> adsp0
    crw-rw--w- 1 root sys 14, 12 Aug 29 02:47 adsp0
    crw-rw--w- 1 root sys 14, 28 Aug 29 02:47 adsp1
    crw-rw--w- 1 root sys 14, 44 Aug 29 02:47 adsp2
    crw-rw--w- 1 root sys 14, 60 Aug 29 02:47 adsp3
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Feb 5 13:25 dsp -> dsp0
    crw-rw--w- 1 root sys 14, 3 Aug 29 02:47 dsp0
    crw-rw--w- 1 root sys 14, 19 Aug 29 02:47 dsp1
    crw-rw--w- 1 root sys 14, 35 Aug 29 02:47 dsp2
    crw-rw--w- 1 root sys 14, 51 Aug 29 02:47 dsp3
    bash-2.05b$

I have done some more messing around. I removed my USB mouse thinking that it was blocking the sound. But now, it blocks on the keyboard i.e whenever I press a special key liks CapsLock, then only the sound comes. Don't know what's happening. One of my friend told that the sound card might be using a shared interrupt. Any ideas?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    I guess a shared interrupt could be one explanation. Could you post the output of `cat /proc/interrupts'? Also - I don't know if you posted it before, but I couldn't find it - what sound card do you have?

And as far as permissions go, the group for /dev/dsp is sys...you can change this using the chgrp command, or just add the users to the sys group.

And it does sound like it could be an IRQ conflict, so post as Dolda suggested.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast